COLD case detectives have today vowed to solve the murder of a 23-year-old woman who was battered to death almost 30 years ago.

The body of Diane McInally was discovered by a dog walker in the grounds of Pollok Park in October 1991, next to the building which houses the world famous Burrell Collection.

The victim who lived in the Gorbals had been beaten so badly that her facial features were unrecognisable.

Two men Dale Clark and Gary Moore – both now dead – were later charged with Diane’s murder but never stood trial.

However as the 30th anniversary of her death approaches Police Scotland say they are still committed to bringing those responsible to justice.

READ MORE: Glasgow Crime Stories: The beasts of the Bluebell Woods and their victim Alison Murray

Glasgow Times:

Detective Chief Inspector Brian Geddes from Police Scotland’s Homicide Governance and Review, added:”The death of Diane McInally in 1991 remains an unresolved murder but is not a closed case.

“The passage of time, which is approaching 30 years since this incident, is no barrier to the continued investigation of unresolved homicide cases.

“Police Scotland’s Homicide and Governance Review team and the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service work together to review outstanding undetected and unresolved homicides from across the country and should any new information be received by police on an investigation,

“It will be thoroughly assessed and investigated further, wherever necessary.

“Anyone with information about Diane’s death is urged to contact Police Scotland via 101 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

READ MORE: The day three innocent men were murdered in the House of Blood in Govanhill

Diane’s violent and tragic death on October 15 was the first of eight prostitute murders over 14 years linked to Glasgow’s red light district.

She had become a herion addict after the break up of her relationship with her son’s father.

Diane was last seen getting into a car in Cadogan Street in the centre of Glasgow a popular spot for the women to pick up clients.

It’s believed that Diane was murdered because she owed money to both Clark and Moore for drugs she was supplying to other sex workers.

During their investigation police spoke to more than 500 males who used the services of the women, including Diane.

Moore was already known to police as a man of violence.

In 1984 he was one of four who stood trial at the High Court in Glasgow for the murders of six members of the Doyle family in a fire at their home Ruchazie, but he was later cleared.

READ THE FULL STORY: Young victim Diane McInally found by dog walker in park undergrowth

In 1994 Moore was convicted of killing the son of reformed killer and sculptor Jimmy Boyle and sentenced to eight years in prison.

Three years later Dale Clark was found dead from a drugs overdose and Moore died in 2010 from liver damage.

The man who led the hunt for Diane’s killer, Detective Supt Joe Jackson, now retired, welcomed any new investigation.

He remains convinced that his team arrested the right men and cannot understand why they were not put on trial.

Mr Jackson added:”While there was no forensic evidence we had a strong if circumstantial case.

“I believe that given time Dale Clark would have eventually admitted his involvement.”

Mr Jackson retired in 1992 after 31 years distinguished service.

He would like to see the victim’s family finally given some closure.

Mr Jackson added:”Diane was no angel but she was also a young mother who loved her child.

“She did not deserve to die a horrible death like this.”