A JOINER who crashed a BMW on the M8 motorway was found to be under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

Jamie Choi appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court after previously pleading guilty to driving dangerously and at excessive speeds, losing control of a vehicle, causing it to collide with the central reservation near Garthamlock.

The 24-year-old also admitted driving while unfit through drink and drugs and failing to provide a blood sample on December 5 last year.

Meanwhile, the court accepted not guilty pleas of driving without insurance and driving whilst disqualified.

On Tuesday, the court heard: “Police were asked to attend the westbound carriageway on the M8 due to a vehicle being driven poorly and travelling at speed.

“Upon arrival, police observed the vehicle extensively damaged and nobody in it. Officers spoke with a witness who saw the incident and remained at the scene until police arrived.

“Officers then spoke with the owner of the vehicle who was required to identify the driver to which he replied, ‘it was Jamie Choi, he’s a work colleague’.

“Police then spoke with the accused and he admitted it was him driving the car. Police noticed him to be heavily under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

“The accused was breathalysed giving a negative reading.

“A drug test also returned a negative reading. He was arrested and taken to Coatbridge Police Station.

“The accused was required to give a blood sample, but he refused saying he was ‘paranoid about needles’. He was cautioned and charged.”

Choi’s lawyer said he had spent around two months in custody, and since his release, has found permanent accommodation with his mother in Robroyston.

The defence solicitor said: “He was under the influence at the time and made a poor judgement. He was going to Livingston, which seemed to be work related.

“My suggestion would be to put him on another community payback order with specific requirements to attend addiction services.”

But Sheriff Allan Findlay told Choi he would be disqualified from driving for six years and ordered him to stay at home between 7pm-7am for eight months.