A THUG murdered a man who denied earlier breaking into his home.

Christopher Watt pounced on Robert Cunningham claiming the "red mist" had came over him.

Watt punched, kicked and stamped on the 29 year-old to death after storming up to his home in Kirkintilloch last August 22.

The 32 year-old now faces a life sentence after pleading guilty to murder at the High Court in Glasgow on Friday.

Watt and Robert knew each other having a number of mutual friends.

Prosecutor Liam Ewing QC said: "It is understood that, in August 2020, Watt came to believe Mr Cunningham was responsible for a break in at his home.

"Mr Cunningham strongly denied that he had any involvement in the housebreaking."

The night before the killing, the men had been with others at a local bar.

Dad Robert eventually went home - before around 6.50am the next morning, Watt and two other men were clocked making their way to the dad's flat.

A neighbour of joiner Robert - made redundant at the time of the first lockdown in March 2020 - went on to hear screams and a man yelling 'no".

Watt and the other individuals were then seen leaving in the car around eight minutes later.

A friend of stricken Robert later discovered him lying in his bed making a "gurgling" sound.

He was found to have injuries to his head and face. A CT scan at hospital showed Robert had bleeding on the brain.

Robert tragically never recovered and passed away two days later from a head injury.

The court heard a "worried" Watt was in a house in Kirkintilloch hours after the attack.

He began weeping and stated: "I have taken it too far. What am I going to do?

"The red mist came over me and I remember stamping all over his head."

Watt went on to hand himself in to police.

He admitted going to flat to "challenge" Robert about the alleged break in and that an argument broke out.

Watt recalled seeing his victim lying "unresponsive" before the thug "panicked" and fled.

One of the men with Watt was also traced by police.

He told how Watt had stated to Robert: "Did you f*****g rob me? I know it was you."

The third man later admitted Watt had "lost control" while kicking the victim and stamping on his face as he lay in bed.

Brian McConnachie QC, defending, said: "Mr Watt is well aware that there is only one sentence that can be imposed from pleading guilty to a charge of murder."

Lord Sandison remanded Watt in custody as the case was adjourned until next month.

Robert McSporran, 29, and Robert Meechan, 34, had also been accused of murder, but their not guilty pleas were accepted.