IN 1957, the passing out parade for the Highland Light Infantry at Maryhill Barracks was an impressive affair.

As the Colonel inspected the recruits, none of them could have guessed within a few short years the regiment would be amalgamated with another and the famous barracks themselves would be demolished and the land turned over to housing.

The barracks were built in the 1870s, and they became a focal point for the community. The Solder’s Hotel was a favourite among the troops and later became the Maryhill Trades Union Centre. The HLI Bar at the corner of Maryhill Road and Kelvinside Avenue, was popular as was the Elephant and Bugle.

Maryhill Barracks in 1961. Pic: Herald and Times

Maryhill Barracks in 1961. Pic: Herald and Times

Hitler’s Deputy, Rudolf Hess, was taken to the barracks for questioning after his plane crashed near Eaglesham and French President Charles de Gaulle, leader of the Free French forces during the Second World War, visited his troops while they were stationed at Maryhill.

New Housing at Maryhill Barracks in 1962. Pic: Herald and Times

New Housing at Maryhill Barracks in 1962. Pic: Herald and Times

During the General Strike in Glasgow in 1919 the authorities did not risk using troops from Maryhill to quell the ensuing riots as they feared the soldiers, just back from the war, would be too sympathetic to the rioters.

READ MORE: Sad story behind Glasgow memorial to the man who wrote Wee Willie Winkie

After the Barracks were decommissioned, they became Wynford Housing Estate.