POLICE were forced to discharge a Taser after two men armed with weapons allegedly fought on a street in front of terrified onlookers.

Three police cars, a van and an ambulance rushed to the scene on Gourock's Shore Street yesterday.

Stunned members of the public said they watched as the two men battled one another with a metal pole and wooden-handled mallet around 8am, right outside the Renfrewshire Physiotherapy and Cowden's Stores premises.

Police say a 29-year-old and 26-year-old were both rushed to Inverclyde Royal Hospital for treatment after sustaining injuries during the incident.

Both were also arrested, with police cordoning off part of the pavement.

One horrified onlooker told the Tele she was worried elderly shoppers visiting the shop would be caught up in the incident.

The badly-shaken driver, who had just dropped her child off at nursery, told our sister newspaper The Greenock Telegraph: "I was heading into Gourock and there was traffic stopped as there was a man in the middle of the road.

"I thought he was a workman as he was dressed in casual clothes - he was carrying a large metal pole that looked like it was used for scaffolding.

"Then I spotted another guy hiding behind a car who was holding a mallet with a long wooden handle.

"They started throwing them at each other across the street and they were running in and out of the close next door to the Chinese restaurant.

"There were a few older people out going into the shops, I was terrified for them.

"I stopped dead as I was scared of something coming right through my windscreen.

"The whole ordeal was really scary, I was quite overwhelmed when I got to work."

Inspector James McArthur of Police Scotland confirmed that officers were called to Shore Street around 8.30am following 'reports of a man behaving aggressively and carrying a weapon'.

He added: "An altercation then took place between two men and officers had to discharge a Taser.

"Two men, aged 29 and 26, have been taken to Inverclyde Royal for treatment to their injuries.

"Both have also been arrested in connection with this incident."

Police Scotland have notified watchdogs following their deployment of the Taser.

Inspector McArthur said: "As within any Taser deployment, a report will be submitted to the Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (PIRC).

"We continue to target those who carry weapons and instigate violence within the Inverclyde area."