POLICE officers monitoring a celebration being held by Rangers fans in George Square to mark the Scottish Premiership league title win have revealed they are now taking action due to the level of disorder in the area. 

The force's Greater Glasgow Division said that they would be using powers made available under Section 14 of the Public Order Act 1986 which will allow them to move fans on from the area. 

In situations where Public Order Policing is required, the force can make use of riot cops and specialist branches such as the mounted unit to help control the situation. 

READ MORE: Bristol Bar: Rangers pub sports huge 'Kings of Scotland' banner

Glasgow Times:

Glasgow Times:

Glasgow Times:

Glasgow Times:

Chief Superintendent Mark Sutherland, who is the city's top cop, said: "Due to rising level of disorder taking place, and the threat to public safety, in George Square in Glasgow this evening, Police Scotland will make use of powers available to officers under Section 14 of the Public Order Act 1986 to disperse those who have chosen to gather there.

"This decision has not been taken lightly, the senior police officer on the ground will give direct instructions to those gathered and anyone in George Square should leave immediately."

READ MORE: George Square: Watch as Rangers fans climb scaffolding and throw bottles

Glasgow Times:

Glasgow Times:

His comments come after he released a statement earlier saying it was not proportionate for the force to use a high level of force through public order policing to disperse those gathering. This decision was taken due to the peaceful nature of the crowd at that point.

He previously said: "The overarching aim of Police Scotland's operation today remains public safety. Throughout the day we have seen crowds gather and anti-social behaviour including the use of pyrotechnics and drinking in public. Our officers are dealing with such offences where possible and have made arrests.

"A request to facilitate a fan procession to Glasgow city centre was declined and officers moved to the procession location to intervene. A short time later large crowds gathered at separate locations and began to move off, due to the size of the crowd, the supporters were escorted to George Square to ensure public safety and minimise disruption to the community.

"Given the largely peaceful nature of the crowd, it would not be proportionate for our resources to use a high level of force through public order policing to disperse those gathering. We have seen some disruption to traffic, but no long lasting disruption to our communities."

Glasgow Times:

Glasgow Times:

Glasgow Times:

The force however have now changed tactics citing disorder and a threat to public safety as the reasons. They have not provided specifics on any details of incidents ongoing in George Square. 

Our reporter on the scene however previously revealed that fans could be seen climbing scaffolding that had been erected in the square. Some threw bottles from the vantage point but were booed and told to get down from fans below. 

There is also several videos being shared on social media showing several fights have taken place. It is not clear if anyone has been injured during these incidents or if arrests have been made. 

Rangers fans first gathered in the centre of Glasgow after their club lifted their first Scottish Premiership trophy in a decade.

Fans sang and danced in George Square after Steven Gerrard’s side defeated Aberdeen 4-0 at Ibrox on the day they collected the silverware.

The celebrations come despite warnings against gathering due to rising Covid-19 cases in Glasgow.

Police Scotland said they had made arrests in relation to anti-social behaviour.

Glasgow Times:

Meanwhile, Justice Secretary Humza Yousaf called the scenes “selfish and irresponsible behaviour”.

The fans in George Square were fringed by around two dozen police officers, some of whom were seen confiscating alcohol and pouring it away.

Earlier, fans outside Ibrox cheered and chanted as the Rangers players arrived for the 12.30pm kick-off.

Police Scotland had called on them to “disperse and take personal responsibility”.

After the trophy was lifted, many fans made their way into the heart of Glasgow.

The Union Bears fan group had earlier announced plans to walk from the stadium to George Square.

On Friday night, scores of Rangers fans lighted red flares simultaneously along the Clyde close to the Clyde Arc in the city as they marked the end of the season.

The Scottish Government previously criticised Rangers’ response after thousands of fans gathered outside Ibrox and in George Square on the weekend they clinched the title in early March.

Responding to the gatherings on Saturday, the Justice Secretary said: “I understand the significance of this day for Rangers fans but I am extremely disappointed that supporters have once again ignored Covid regulations and chosen to gather in large numbers in Glasgow.”

Mr Yousaf added: “This selfish and irresponsible behaviour endangers the lives of others – supporters, the police on duty and the wider community.

“I want to thank the police for incredibly difficult job they are doing keeping our communities safe throughout the pandemic.

“We have already discussed this with Rangers and will liaise with Police Scotland and the football authorities to consider what further action can be taken.”