A dad left homeless after a lorry crashed into his neighbour's house has spoken of his devastation.

The man says he has been "left numb" by the East Kilbride incident, which saw the heavy goods vehicle ram into the property in the middle of the night while children slept inside. 

Onlookers told how the Lancaster Crescent family had a miracle escape, with a neighbour reportedly helping the youngsters clamber out a window and down a ladder, dressed in their pyjamas.

READ MORE: Stobart breaks silence after lorry ploughs into East Kilbride home

The property has since been torn down but it is understood the neighbouring home will also have to go. 

Glasgow Times:

Now the tenant of that house, who has asked not to be named, has told of how he and his children have been affected.

"I have been in a state of shock since it happened, I am stunned and I am numb. The fact that we are now homeless is the worst part," the man told Lanarkshire Live.

"We are devastated, we have lost our home and most of our stuff. I was meant to start a new job, which I now can't do. The more I think about it the worse I feel."

And a woman who lives in one of the other houses in the terrace added to the website: "If my home gets knocked down I'll be so upset. I will lose four years of my memories. My old dog's last days were in that house and I have four other pets buried in the garden.

Glasgow Times: The Stobart lorry used in the incident was later found with rubble still on its trailer roof The Stobart lorry used in the incident was later found with rubble still on its trailer roof

"I'm fortunate that I was able to move in with my son and it's just me and the dogs. But others have kids and will be finding it so hard. I don't know what they will do if all the houses have to come down."

Last week, Stobart, the firm whose vehicle was used, said it was actively helping the police investigation. 

A spokesperson said: “Stobart Energy is aware of an incident involving an agency driver and one of its vehicles. The company is actively supporting the police investigation.”

A 33-year-old man has appeared in court in connection with the incident.