A SCHOOL was evacuated yesterday afternoon after a gas safety alarm was triggered inside a boiler room.

Pupils attending Craigdhu Primary School in East Dunbartonshire were escorted from the building at 12pm. 

Fire crews confirmed they attended the scene and left a short time after. 

Education bosses at East Dunbartonshire council have reassured that the alarm was set off due to fumes stemming from a contractor's machine being used outside.

READ MORE: Glasgow frontline worker slams TRNSMT and Biffy Clyro noise

A full investigation into the incident will be carried out by the local authority. 

Ann Davie, depute chief executive for education, said: "A carbon monoxide alarm in the school's plant room - separate from the main school building - was activated earlier today. No alarms within the school were activated and no carbon monoxide fumes were present in classrooms or in areas used by pupils.

"A site investigation concluded that fumes from a contractor's machinery being used outside got into the plant room and activated its alarm.

"In line with emergency procedures, and as a precaution, the Headteacher sounded the fire alarm to ensure a quick and safe evacuation. This resulted in the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service (SFRS) attending.

"Officers from SFRS, the Council's Health & Safety Team and SGN carried out a full investigation with pupils and staff being allowed back into the school which was assessed as being safe.

"A full investigation will be carried out into the incident."