Devastating pictures show the aftermath of a fire in a Glasgow flat in which a man tragically lost his life.

The 61-year-old died on Saturday after a fire engulfed his ground floor flat on Dumbarton Road, Scotstoun, which has left the entire tenement covered in ash and debris.

READ MORE: Man accused of killing Margaret Meldrum while riding quad bike in Glasgow

Glasgow Times:

The ground floor hallway was completely black, with debris cluttering the entrance way.

The stairs and bannisters leading to the upper floors of the building were covered in soot, and the smell of smoke had permeated through to the top floor flats. 

READ MORE: Perverted Cumbernauld duo sexually harass girl, 15, before grabbing her in daylight assaultGlasgow Times:

Glasgow Times:

Residents in the area said they did not know the man well but were shocked by his tragic death.

Neighbour Helen Carter, said: “On Saturday I went out at around 2.30pm and came back to two police officers.

"They were there for 24 hours. I didn’t ask but when they are there that long you know that someone has passed away.”  

A joint investigation with the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is ongoing to establish the cause of the fire.