OVER 20 arrests were made yesterday during the climate march and protests in Glasgow, police confirmed.

Tens of thousands of people took to the city's streets on Saturday to demand action on climate change.

Crowds gathered in Kelvingrove Park before heading through the city centre towards Glasgow Green, where a rally was held in the evening.

The force said the size and scale of the event had been "beyond anything many of us - both within and outwith policing - can ever remember."

Police Scotland's Protest Removal Team removed activists allegedly involved in a "lock-on" from the King George V Bridge in Broomielaw.

Meanwhile, officers "contained" a group of people in the city centre during the march.

Assistant Chief Constable Gary Ritchie said: "Glasgow has today hosted a public protest the size and scale of which was beyond anything many of us - both within and outwith policing - can ever remember.

"As one of the key events of COP26, the Climate March this afternoon brought together thousands of people from across Scotland, the UK and the world.

"Months of planning has gone into the policing operation for the procession and through regular discussion with organisers and key campaign groups, we clearly set our expectations for the behaviour of participants.  

"I am pleased to say today has passed largely without incident. The procession has been generally good natured, with participants in high spirits, keen to draw attention to their respective causes with Police Scotland officers deployed alongside mutual aid officers from across the UK.

"As we've made clear throughout, our aim has been to deliver a safe and secure conference, and ensure people's right to protest - and counter protest - and having their voices heard is upheld through the facilitation of peaceful, lawful protest.

"However, we've also been steadfast in our commitment that we will not tolerate damage to property, violence or disorder.

"A group of people was contained by officers after their conduct deteriorated, pyrotechnic devices were used and they brought the procession to a halt.

"The containment remained in place for a short time before being lifted as the march came to a conclusion. One person was arrested following the end of the march.  

"In a separate incident this morning, our Police Liaison Team and Protest Removal Team attended to ensure the safe removal of people involved in a lock-on at the King George V Bridge at the Broomielaw in Glasgow. As a result, 21 people were arrested and have been released on an undertaking.

"I want to thank the vast majority of those who attended both the Youth March and the Climate March for their positive attitudes and for following instructions from our officers."

Organisers of the event, the COP26 Coalition claimed more than 100,000 activists braved the rain and strong winds yesterday to demand global climate justice.

Asad Rehman, a spokesperson for the COP26 Coalition said: "Many thousands of people took to the streets today on every continent demanding that governments move from climate inaction to climate justice.

"We won't tolerate warm words and long term targets anymore, we want action now."