A CONVICTED killer caught with a haul of stun guns has been jailed for five years.

Colin Williamson was held at his flat in Glasgow's Pollokshaws after police got a tip off.

The 51-year-old was found with a number of the illegal devices disguised as torches or batons.

READ MORE: Bishopbriggs man locked up after he bombarded ex with abusive messages

Williamson was sentenced at the High Court in Glasgow on Wednesday.

He had pleaded guilty last month to possessing the stun guns on February 18 and 19 2020.

Mark Moir QC, defending, told judge Lady Stacey that Williamson's poor health could be a factor in him receiving less than the mandatory five year jail-term for such offences.

But, throwing out the bid, she said: "The question is whether your ill health amounts to exceptional circumstances. I have decided it does not."

The previous hearing was told how Williamson - jailed for six years for culpable homicide in 1992 - had been spotted with a gold coloured stun gun.

This soon lead to the raid at his home. Officers found the device was an extendable "stun baton" which also had a torch.

Prosecutor Leanne McQuillan said two more similar weapons were next seized.

READ MORE: Glasgow man accused of embezzling £61,000 from elderly relative

The court heard a box was then discovered in Williamson's room.

Miss McQuillan: "On examination, it was found to contain six dismantled stun baton/torches.

"There were several components missing, so none of the items could be reassembled."

Mr Moir said Williamson was aware he should not have purchased the devices.

The advocate added: "He suffers from a number of quite serious health issues."

Lady Stacey remarked during the hearing Williamson "knew perfectly well what he had done" in having the items.

His 75 year-old mother Catherine Williamson had also previously faced the same accusation.

She had further been charged with culpably and recklessly discharging a crossbow in the flat causing an arrow to go through the ceiling into the floor of the upstairs property.

But, her not guilty pleas were accepted by prosecutors.