A DAD who was driving high on street Valium kicked out at cops when he was getting arrested.

Stuart Irvine had to be taken to the ground and handcuffed during the incident on April 2, 2020.

The 35-year-old appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court to be sentenced after previously pleading guilty to driving the car whilst unfit through drink or drugs, breaching a court order, and resisting arrest by struggling violently. 

Fiscal depute Ramsay Cunningham said: “At around 6.05pm, the accused was driving his motor vehicle on Gartloch Road.

“A witness approached the accused after having reason to check on him. At this time, she noticed the accused slurring his speech.

“Police were contacted and attended a short time later. They found the accused sitting within the driver’s seat and approached him.

“They observed the accused to be unsteady on his feet and slurring his words.”

Irvine provided a sample of breath which returned a negative result. However, cops believed he was impaired and informed him he was under arrest.

When trying to place handcuffs on Irvine, he resisted arrested and kicked out at officers.

The court heard that he had to be taken to the ground and handcuffed to the rear.

Mr Cunningham added: “The accused was thereafter conveyed to Cathcart police office. He was not charged with any further offences at the time due to his level of intoxication.”

Irvine’s lawyer explained that street Valium had been taken on the day.

He added: “He accepts his guilt. He is in a long-term relationship and has two children and another on the way. His partner depends on him emotionally and financially.

“He is self-employed in the plastering trade. He has been candid and upfront regarding the clear breach of the community payback order and lack of engagement.

“He has mental health problems but is currently alcohol and drug-free. He appreciates it’s a serious matter.”

The defence solicitor asked the sheriff to give his client one further chance to comply with a community-based disposal.

Sheriff Jonathan Guy said: “To be fair to you, you were very candid about this very much deliberate breach of the order put in place by the court.

“This was a direct alternative to custody, and I’m very much entitled to impose a period of imprisonment, however, due to your circumstances I’m not going to take that step.”

Irvine, from Easterhouse, was fined £270. He was ordered to be under social work supervision for one year and ordered to stay within his home address between 9pm-6am for three months.