Four children were mistakenly given twice the approved amount of Covid-19 vaccine in Lanarkshire. 

The youngsters, aged between five and 11 and clinically vulnerable, were administered adult doses instead of children ones, the Daily Record is reporting.

NHS Lanarkshire has later confirmed the incident and apologised. 

The mum of a 10-year-old boy told the Record his arm became sore shortly after he was jabbed at the Ally McCoist Centre in East Kilbride. 

He started developing stomach pains, diarrhoea and a splitting ­headache, just hours after the jab

Overnight, his mum noticed a pulsing vein in the boy’s neck and claimed he was still suffering side-effects almost a week later.

The boy has a condition called Chiari malformation, where the lower part of the brain pushes down into the spinal canal, which required two operations.

READ MORE: Campaigners call for end of gambling sponsors in football in move that would hit Old Firm

The mum said she later received a call from a senior doctor within NHS Lanarkshire, who told her her son had been given 25.7 micrograms of the vaccine instead of ten, which is the dose for a child.

The doctor told her it was “highly unlikely” this would lead to any problems but advised her to take the boy to a hospital in case of severe symptoms.

The mum said: “A doctor told me adult and child doses are kept in the same fridge and are not colour coded. 

“It’s not surprising a mistake was made. Check the dose your child is being given.”

Last night, Scottish Labour’s health ­spokeswoman Jackie Baillie has called for an urgent inquiry into the circumstances that led to the overdoses.

She said: “Kids getting adult doses is pretty serious, especially when it is not a one-off.

“We don’t know the implications and there needs to be proper monitoring of these children. 

“They can’t be left to cope with quite severe side effects on their own.

“There also needs to be an urgent inquiry.”

READ MORE: Calls for Nicola Sturgeon to axe 'cruel' 10-day isolation rule on mental health wards

North Lanarkshire health and social care associate medical director Dr Mark Russell said: “We would like to apologise to the child and the three other children who received a dose of the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine larger than would normally be given for their age.

“I contacted the families as soon as we discovered what had happened to offer advice and support, and have monitored them since.

“We’ve reviewed processes at vaccination centres and are sharing the learning across health boards to reduce the risk of this happening again.”

A Scottish Government spokeswoman said: “We’re aware a small number of children received a higher than recommended dose of the Pfizer vaccine instead of the paediatric formula.

“NHS Lanarkshire has assured us the error was quickly identified, reported and actions were put in place to ensure the affected parents were fully informed of what had happened.

“NHS Lanarkshire has apologised to the affected young people and their families for any worry caused by this error.

“It has undertaken the monitoring required when someone is given more than the recommended dose of a Covid-19 vaccine.”