A PORT Glasgow schoolgirl who died after taking ecstasy was found 'gargling and hot to the touch' before she passed away, a High Court jury heard yesterday.

Cerys Reeve, 14, was allegedly supplied a 'potentially lethal' dose of the class A drug by culpable homicide accused teenager James McCairn.

A woman told a trial that she found Cerys — her daughter's friend — in a state of collapse and 'fitting' at her Greenock home.

The witness, 45, said the girl was also 'rigid' and that she believed she was trying to speak but the words were 'caught in her throat'.

Accused McCairn, 18, is charged with 'recklessly and unlawfully' giving Cerys ecstasy earlier at his own home in the town.

The court heard from the first witness that she was awoken by the sound of a thud at 5am on July 13 2020 and went to investigate.

She said she saw Cerys lying on her back with her daughter at the other side of the bed.

Asked by prosecutor Graeme Jessop if Cerys made any sounds, the witness replied: "Gargling sounds."

Mr Jessop asked: "How was her body?"

The witness said: "She was sweating really bad and really hot to touch. I saw sweat on her neck and face."

Cerys' eyes were 'wide open', the woman said, adding that she was 'trying to say words but they were stuck in her throat, struggling to talk'.

The woman told the High Court in Glasgow that she was then informed by her daughter that Cerys has taken MDMA (ecstasy).

She added: "Cerys just looked like she was fitting constantly — her body was rigid."

Cerys, a much-loved pupil of St Stephen's High School in the Port died later at Inverclyde Royal Hospital.

McCairn faces a separate charge of supplying ecstasy to others at a number of locations in Greenock.

He is further accused of being concerned in the supply of cannabis as well as possession of cocaine.

McCairn denies all of the charges against him.

The court was earlier read a joint minute of agreed evidence.

Jurors were told that Cerys arrived at hospital after 6am and was put on a ventilator.

She was 'noted to be rigid all over' with dilated pupils.

CPR was stopped at 8.08am.

It was discovered that she had 3.3 micrograms per litre of MDMA in her system.

A post mortem carried out determined the cause of death as MDMA toxicity.

The trial continues before judge John McCormick.