A PRISONER was caught with an unauthorised sim card in his mobile phone after a cell and body search.

Duncan Stanulis was serving a sentence at Glasgow’s HMP Barlinnie when three prison officers attended his cell on the morning of June 3 last year.

The 33-year-old was on his prison-issued mobile phone at the time and was asked to put it down until the search had been completed.

He was asked if there were any unauthorised items within his cell, and he replied “no”.

After a body search, no items were found on him.

The cell search began and during this, one of the prison officers picked up his mobile phone, which was inspected.

At Glasgow Sheriff Court last week, prosecutor Jeremy O’Neill said: “It was noted that the security feature at the rear had been tampered with.

“After inspection, an O2 sim card not issued by the prison was discovered within. He was informed the matter would be reported.”

Stanulis’ lawyer explained that prisoners were provided with sim cards at the time due to Covid-19 preventing visits from family and friends.

READ MORE: Pensioner tried to withdraw £3k after being tricked by bogus callers

Inmates could use their phones any time they wanted but had a limited number of hours they could use.

The defence solicitor said: “His father was unwell, and he had very quickly used up the hours. His father subsequently passed away.

“He was punished within the prison. He had three weeks' loss of privileges as a consequence of this matter.

“He has been at liberation since January and there has been a number of significant developments. He has managed to obtain employment and is now the full-time carer for his son.”

Stanulis appeared for sentencing after previously pleading guilty to being in possession of the communication device.

Sheriff Valerie Mays told him: “As you know, this is a serious offence given the place the sim card was found. I accept you didn’t have it for any malicious reason but it’s an offence which could attract custody, given your record.

“I have taken into account the reason you had the sim card and the fact you are now the main carer for your son. I can deal with this by alternative to custody.”

The Bridgeton man was placed under social work supervision for one year and ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.