A man was airlifted to hospital yesterday after a brutal assault in a Greenock flat sparked a massive emergency service response.

The victim was seriously injured within an address in Belville Avenue just before 2pm, before being transported via ambulance to Bridgend Road.

He was met there by a medical crew who had flown to the scene by helicopter.

Glasgow Times:

Glasgow Times:

They rushed him to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, where he was last night receiving treatment.

Onlookers looked on in shock as the air ambulance landed behind Lady Octavia Sports Centre while three police cars carrying uniform and CID officers rushed to the scene.

A large police presence could also be seen at Belville Avenue while a police helicopter was seen flying low over the scene for almost an hour.

A homeowner in neighbouring Bridgend Road described the dramatic scenes.

Glasgow Times:

Glasgow Times:

The man told our sister title The Greenock Telegraph that he had 'never heard so many sirens at once' as officers swarmed on the scene.

The individual, who asked not to be named, said: "I heard all the sirens and wondered what was going on. By the sheer scale of the police response, I knew right away that something bad had happened.

"The air ambulance flew over my house so I went outside to see what was happening and spotted it landing behind the sports centre.

"I've never known so much activity in this area. I have lived here my whole life and have never known a helicopter to land there."

Police say enquiries are ongoing into the incident, with no further updates available on the victim's age or his condition as we went to press.

Glasgow Times:

Glasgow Times:

A Police Scotland spokesperson added: "We received a report that a man had been seriously assaulted in Belville Avenue in Greenock at around 1.50pm yesterday.

"He was taken to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital by ambulance.

"Enquiries are ongoing."

Local CID and Chief Inspector Paul Cameron both declined to comment when approached by the Telegraph.