A PUPPY almost died after eating suspected "fox poison", leaving his owners distraught.

Barry Lamb, 35, and Jill Lamb, 34, were left distressed after their cocker spaniel, Badger, became extremely ill after an evening walk on Saturday, June 11, near Burnhead Street in Uddingston.

They rushed the dog to Vets Now Hospital in Glasgow, where it was confirmed a toxin was causing him to suffer constant seizures for almost ten hours, one day before his first birthday.

Barry begged vets to keep trying to save his beloved animal even after they asked if they should let him pass as his condition rapidly deteriorated.

Glasgow Times: Barry was worried about his dog BadgerBarry was worried about his dog Badger

Badger then managed to pull through and made a “remarkable” recovery by Monday, June 13, and is now resting at home.

Now his owners are warning their community to stay alert and has slammed anyone who would try to poison an animal.

Barry, from Uddingston, told the Glasgow Times: “It has been one of the absolute worst experiences ever.

“My wife phoned me screaming and when I came home I saw him stretched out violently seizing.

“I have seen a lot of stuff with dogs but I have never experienced anything like that in my life, he was just so stiff.

“He was sick and a pit of tinfoil came up so I don't know if something has been wrapped up.

“People told us that there was fox poison lying out so it may have been that. It isn’t uncommon for people to put snares out for killing foxes or to be cruel to them in the area.

“I just don't understand how anyone could do that. It is a terrible way to kill any kind of animal whether it is a fox, badger, cat, or bird, it is just so inhumane.

“Badger is such a young wee dog, so full of life. He is so friendly. He seems to be getting better by the hour now.”

Glasgow Times: Badger made a remarkable recoveryBadger made a remarkable recovery

Newlyweds Barry and Jill have paid £3000 towards Badger's huge vet bill but still have £1200 left to go.

They are using their savings which they had planned on using to move to a rural area but decided “that dream can wait”.

Barry said: “It was terrible because we had to think about letting him go because the last thing you want to do is put a wee dog through pain.

“We managed to scrape more money together to keep trying which got him through to 7am and he finally stopped seizing but remained unstable.

“We wanted to use the money to save up and move away from the area into a rural place. That is the dream but it can wait.

“Now he is just really tired but his bloods and tests are all normal now.

“It has just been horrible for us.”

Scottish SPCA chief superintendent Mike Flynn said: "We’re sorry to hear reports of a dog being poisoned in Uddingston.

“Unfortunately we regularly deal with complaints of pets being poisoned across Scotland.

“These incidents are incredibly difficult to solve due to the nature of the crime.

“We would urge pet owners in the area to be vigilant.

“Attempting to deliberately harm an animal is a criminal offence.

“If anyone is concerned about an animal, please do not hesitate to contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.”