A SPEEDING driver who took cops on a car chase through Glasgow city centre was warned his actions could have been "utterly catastrophic".

Sheriff Shona Gilroy told Martin Mather he was lucky not to have killed someone as Glasgow Sheriff Court heard of his actions on July 13 last year.

The court was told last week how Mather accelerated away from police on the Clydeside Expressway, running through red lights and nearly knocking over workmen in his bid to evade officers.

Shortly before 10am, police on patrol on Crow Road spotted Mather's black Volvo.

They noted that the vehicle began to turn on to the Clydeside Expressway eastbound before accelerating to 70mph in a 50mph zone. 

Cops in a panda car signalled for the vehicle to stop and switched on their blue lights and sirens. 

The depute fiscal described how the vehicle hesitated before accelerating at speed.

Police informed the area control sergeant of the details of what was happening and other road police officers were sent out to assist. 

Mather, of Sighthill, continued to head eastbound at speed through the junction at Anderson.

He then drove through three sets of red traffic signals without slowing down or ensuring the road was clear. 

The court heard Mather came to a blind junction, ran through it and continued into Glasgow city centre where he kept driving at high speed, turning into Blythswood Street and Waterloo Street. 

At Waterloo Street there were several road workers who had to take evasive action to avoid being struck by the Volvo. 

Mather continued through several traffic lights before police lost sight of the vehicle. 

One of the officers carried out a systems check and saw Mather had no valid driving licence and held no insurance. 

On July 25 the 35-year-old turned up at Glasgow West End police station and handed himself in. 

His defence brief said: “He struggles with high levels of anxiety and stress. 

“His mental health was taking a toll at this time and he wasn’t taking his medication.”

The lawyer added that Mather’s last offence was in March 2019.

Mather was tagged for 60 days, keeping him at home between 8pm and 8am. 

The tag will not apply on Wednesdays, however, to allow him to go and visit his young son. 

He was also placed on a community payback order and told to carry out 120 hours of unpaid work within six months. 

Mather was disqualified from driving for 18 months. 

Sheriff Gilroy said: “The consequences of this driving could have been utterly catastrophic for yourself and other people using the roads. 

“You are very lucky you did not kill somebody.”