A midwife saved a baby’s life by noticing her nostrils were flaring after birth.

Yasmin Ghahfarokhi was born with a serious infection, believed to be meningitis, at Wishaw General in April.

It was caught after one eagle-eyed medic, known as Ann, spotted the youngster struggling to breathe and ordered tests.

Glasgow Times: Amy and YasminAmy and Yasmin

Medics were then stunned when it was revealed that the tiny baby was showing “critical” signs of infection and quickly rushed her off for treatment.

Now Yasmin’s mother, Amy Dean, believes Ann’s quick-thinking actions saved her first born’s life and is eternally grateful.

The 27-year-old, from Coatbridge, spoke to the Glasgow Times about the scary experience and how great the NHS team were at looking after her family.

Glasgow Times: Yasmin was born with an infectionYasmin was born with an infection

Amy said: “The midwife potentially saved her as if she didn’t notice that then it may not have been flagged.

“The nostrils flaring suggests working hard to breathe so the midwife Ann thought that she may need some oxygen to help her transition to life outside of the womb and called in the neonatal to assess her.

“It was once she was alone in neonatal they found the infection because of her inflammatory markers being raised so high.

“Her infection markers were critically high but we felt confident that the consultants started treating the infection quickly so we weren’t concerned for her life at the time.

“We were probably trying hard not to think about what it could mean.

“I think because she responded to treatment so well we relaxed about it a bit more.

“The neonatal consultants and registrar doctors kept us informed every step of the way and were really sympathetic and supportive when they had to tell us bad news.”

Glasgow Times: Yasmin responded well to treatmentYasmin responded well to treatment

Amy had experienced a straight-forward pregnancy before starting early labour contractions on Monday, April 25.

She was sent to Wishaw General the next day but sent home again before her waters finally broke on Wednesday, April 27.

It meant she was in labour for 36 hours and suffered prolonged rupture of her membranes, leaving Yasmin with an infection when born.

The baby was given a chest x-ray, blood tests and antibiotics as medics battled to cure her illness.

She was then given antibiotics through an IV and a feeding tube for three days before being moved to transitional care.

Doctors struggled to confirm her meningitis as by the time they took a sample baby Yasmin had been on antibiotics for five days.

This meant any bacteria in her spinal fluid should have been killed off, so a negative result only meant that there was no bacteria at the time of the sample taken.

Glasgow Times: Yasmin is now at homeYasmin is now at home

However all other tests came back negative leaving doctors to believe suspected meningitis is the most likely diagnosis.

The condition is an infection of the protective membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord.

It can affect anyone, but is most common in babies, young children, teenagers and young adults, according to the NHS.

Glasgow Times: Dariush and Amy with baby YasminDariush and Amy with baby Yasmin

Meningitis can be very serious if not treated quickly.

It can cause life-threatening blood poisoning (septicaemia) and result in permanent damage to the brain or nerves.

After receiving treatment, Yasmin began to grow stronger and put on weight allowing parents Amy and Dariush Ghahfarokhi to take her home two weeks later where she continues to thrive.

Amy added: “We had a great experience with the neonatal and transitional care unit in Wishaw. The staff were incredible.

“We were so relieved when we got her to transitional care into our room where we could finally look after her ourselves. She was still getting antibiotics and four-hourly observations.

“She thrived by putting on weight at each weigh-in and she looked a lot more alert and happy.

“We were released after 14 days and we practically skipped out the door with her.”

NHS Lanarkshire was contacted for comment.