It was 1995 and mother-of-three Marilyn McKenna thought she had met the man of her dreams.

Salesman Stuart Drury, 35, was charming. He offered to watch the children, help with the washing, do the shopping. 

A short time later Drury moved into Marilyn's home in the Carntyne area of the city.

While she worked - as a school auxiliary, a dinner lady and a chip shop assistant - Drury looked after the kids. He seemed to be the perfect gentleman taking a huge load off her shoulders.

However, within a few months a possessive streak began to show. 

Drury got stroppy when she said she was going on her regular Friday night out with her older sister Aileen McDermott and friends.

He said she was only going out to pull blokes.

Drury then started accusing Marilyn of a having an affair with her boss.

He was interrogating her constantly about who she was with and seeing.

Marilyn stopped going on the nights out and went from being deliriously happy to totally miserable.

After two years, Marilyn told Drury to leave. She’d had enough of his nagging and paranoia.

He replied with violence, breaking her nose, and was ordered by a court to pay her £400 compensation. 

To her relief, he disappeared for a few weeks, but soon reappeared, begging for forgiveness. 

Drury began sending Marilyn letters and bombarding her with nasty phone calls. 

The loving boyfriend had become the obsessive stalker.

He became an even greater pest and began sending pizzas, repair men and taxis to Marilyn's door.

But these were petty annoyances compared to his next move. 

He placed a newspaper advert claiming Marilyn was "open for business" and she was left to cope with strange men turning up at her door believing she was offering sexual services.

Often, she would come home from work to find her door kicked in and Drury would be sitting in her living room making threats. 

Marilyn went to the housing department but was told they couldn't move her. All they could offer her was an iron door. 

The police seemed unable to offer much assistance either.

Armed with a lengthy list of everything that was happening to her, Marilyn went to a lawyer and got an interdict to keep Drury away. 

It didn't work. Finally, after he cut her telephone line, Marilyn moved into her parents' house. 

After nine more months of harassment, Marilyn worried about the effect on her mum so, when Drury promised to change, she reluctantly agreed to move into a flat with him. 

In March 1998, after yet another violent outburst, Marilyn went to a local women's refuge for a couple of weeks.

When Marilyn returned to her own house, she found that Drury had smashed her windows, put dog's dirt through the letter box and ripped up all her clothes. 

The pestering continued, but this time Drury was becoming more aggressive leaving threatening messages on her answering machine. 

Marilyn and her children were even forced to sit huddled in darkness after she had the windows boarded for security. 

On one occasion she had to get one of her children to drag a wardrobe across the floor to barricade the door. 

In September 1998, Marilyn was out for a drink with friends and a man she had met in the pub walked her home.

Drury was lying in wait. After scaring the man off, he then chased Marilyn down the street with a claw hammer.

When he caught her, he struck her about a dozen times on the face and neck. 

He ripped Marilyn's jawbone from her face and used such force he pierced her jugular.

She was only seven stones and powerless to combat his powerful 6ft 2in frame. 

When he was arrested, Drury had a picture of Marilyn which had been slashed through with a knife and had her blood still on his clothes.

Meanwhile, Marilyn had been found dying by a local resident and was rushed to hospital.

Doctors didn't hold out much hope for Marilyn after Drury's horrific attack. 

She was barely recognisable as she lay battered and broken in her hospital bed.

Her devastated family were able to say their goodbyes before the life-support machine was switched off the day following the fatal attack.

In the unlikely event she had survived, she would have been left severely disabled.

Her murder had brought to an end a terrifying three-year campaign of relentless stalking and intimidation.

She was only 37 when she was killed. 

Though the couple's relationship had ended, a warped Drury had never accepted the situation. 

At his trial at the High Court in Glasgow in February 1999, Drury was found unanimously guilty of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment. 

But two years later he was freed when the Court of Appeal ruled trial judge Lord Kirkwood had erred in his summing up.

A retrial was held later that year and a new jury at the High Court in Edinburgh found him guilty of the brutal murder for a second time. 

At his retrial, he attempted to have the charge of murder, which carries a mandatory life sentence, reduced to the lesser charge of culpable homicide on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

After Drury was found guilty the jurors heard that he had previous convictions for assault and breach of the peace in which Marilyn was the victim. 

It also emerged that he had previously attacked another girlfriend outside her home, for which he got 60 days in prison.

A few weeks after being released from prison for that assault he took up with Marilyn.

The trial judge Lord Dawson sentenced him to life imprisonment.

After he was taken away Marilyn's family called for a change in the law to make stalking a crime

Until her murder police had only been able to charge offenders like Drury with breach of the peace.

Speaking afterwards, older sister Aileen, then 47, said: ''Is it not time we listened to the victim instead of the criminal who seems to have everything going for him?

“I won't rest until the system has changed. I have real anger in me about this. Do they really care, do the politicians or the courts really care for five minutes?

“'My family has been devastated in the past few years.

"This is going to take a very long while to get over.

''To have been through this thing twice has been devastating. I am a very strong woman and yet I feel broken. 

"I have tried to fight for changes in the law but this justice system, everything is geared towards the criminal and people are just not listening.''

In a separate interview following his conviction, Aileen, from Barmulloch, revealed that the police had been called to Marilyn’s home 64 times to deal with complaints about Drury.

Aileen added: "Marilyn knew she was going to die. She was petrified." 

She admitted that when she first met Drury she had taken an instant dislike to him.

Aileen found him sinister, controlling and devoid of a personality.  

She told her sister this, but Marilyn insisted he was genuine. 

Tragically Aileen had been proved right.

She added: "He couldn't take his eyes off Marilyn, but it wasn't love - it was overpowering."

"I begged her to get the kids and run away. But she said, 'if I leave, he will kill me'.

"My sister felt she had come in contact with an evil person and only her death would end it." 

When asked about the life term, she added: "It still doesn't seem enough for what he has done. Our family is devastated, and Marilyn's kids have had to be split up." 

Marilyn’s case renewed calls to tighten the law and in 2010 the offence of stalking was passed by the Scottish Parliament to give the police more powers when dealing with offenders.

In an interview that year, Aileen, now 56, said she was still struggling to deal with Marilyn's murder and not enough was being done to help victims of domestic violence.

Aileen added: "It really pains me that things don't seem to have changed.

"At the time of Marilyn's death there was a real uproar and people were determined that things should change but I think that has fizzled out.

"It is still a massive problem that affects everyone - young, old, rich, poor."