The brutal murder and rape of a young student inside a Glasgow church shocked all of Scotland and led to the capture of one of the most notorious serial killers the UK has ever known.  

Angelika Kluk, 23, was bludgeoned to death and stabbed 16 times by depraved Peter Tobin - but the crime at St Patrick’s Church in Anderston would eventually lead to the monster’s capture. 

Angelika’s blood-soaked body was dumped through a hatch in the chapel’s floorboards next to the confessional box, with her hands bound and mouth gagged. 

Glasgow Times:

In 2006, Angelika, who was studying languages at Gdansk University, Poland, was staying in a room at the church on a working holiday. 

READ MORE: 'He took pleasure in murdering women': Serial killer Peter Tobin takes his secrets to the grave

No one at St Patrick's had any idea about Tobin's past, and in September 2006, the student trustingly agreed to help him paint a garage at the church. 

Tobin, left alone with the defenceless young girl, did what he always did and took her life. The attack he launched on Angelika was frenzied, brutal and merciless. 

Glasgow Times:

He battered her repeatedly over the head with a wooden table leg, bound and gagged her, stabbed and raped her as she lay on the floor dying in a pool of her own blood. 

When he was finished with Angelika, he wrapped her body, dragged it into the church and hid it in a void under the floor. 

Glasgow Times:

Angelika went missing on September 24. Her body was not found until September 29. 

By then Tobin had fled to London, using another assumed name. He checked into hospital, claiming to have heart trouble, but was recognised and brought back to Glasgow to face justice. 

When he was arrested, he was wearing a T-shirt that had stains linking him to Angelika's murder. DNA found on the victim's body and fingerprints on the tarpaulin were also a positive match for him.  

Glasgow Times:

Tobin refused to admit his brutal crimes and former detective David Swindle says he believed he wanted the 'entertainment' of watching the Crown trying to prove his guilt. 

READ MORE: Glasgow Crime Stories: The murder of Angelika Kluk and killer Peter Tobin

Mr Swindle said: “He got a kick out of feeling like he held all the cards, that he was in the driving seat. He was such a narcissist that he probably believed he would get away with it, but he was to be proved wrong.” 

Glasgow Times:

The Crown put together a compelling case, proving Tobin’s guilt, and Judge Lord Menzies jailed the beast for life with a minimum term of 21 years. 

He told Tobin: "It is clear from your record that you are a danger to women and a serial sex offender. 

"In my time in the law, I have seen many bad men and heard evidence about many terrible crimes. 

"But I have heard no case more tragic, or more terrible, than this one. 

"What you did to Angelika Kluk was inhuman. To bind her hands and gag her so tightly that her face was misshapen when her body was found was the cruellest of acts. 

"To rape her, beat her about the head repeatedly with a table leg, fracturing her skull, stab her repeatedly about her chest and body and then drag her through the church and dump her body under the floorboards like a piece of rubbish was incomprehensible. 

"All this shows utter contempt and disdain for the life of an innocent young woman with her whole life ahead of her. 

"You are, in my view, an evil man." 

Glasgow Times:

By this time a more detailed picture had also emerged of Tobin's background and history of attacks on women.  

Strathclyde Police launched Operation Anagram to trace his movements over the previous 40 years and his possible involvement in other unsolved murders.  

In June 2007, Tobin's old house in Bathgate was searched in connection with the disappearance of 15-year-old Redding schoolgirl Vicky Hamilton, who had gone missing on February 10, 1991.  

Glasgow Times:

Another former home in Margate was searched and the bodies of Vicky and a second missing woman, Dinah McNicol, were found in the garden.  

In December 2008, Tobin was convicted of Vicky's murder at the High Court in Dundee where he was given a second life sentence. He was then found guilty of slaying Dinah, who was last seen getting into Tobin’s car on August 5, 1991, as she left a music festival in Hampshire. 

Mr Swindle, who led the investigation that snared Tobin, said: “I am proud of what Operation Anagram achieved. I could never have believed the momentum and magnitude it would have as it developed. 

“That investigation has brought some solace to the families of Vicky Hamilton and Dinah McNicol, letting them know what happened to their loved ones. 

“Sadly, Tobin’s death now means that the families of others who I believe he murdered will never have that closure. He was a truly evil human being and I’m just sorry that we couldn’t get the information from him that we tried so hard for.” 

Glasgow Times:

Operation Anagram helped piece together a timeline of Tobin's movements and relationships over decades in a bid to determine whether he is responsible for other unsolved crimes. 

Mr Swindle said: “A deathbed confession from him was what we all hoped for. It would have allowed us to know the full extent of his catalogue of crimes.

"I believe there were many more killings at his hands, but he has now taken that to the grave with him.”