A RANGERS fan who threw a missile at a police car has been banned from football matches for eight years.

Marc Cumming, 25, was told by a sheriff that he cannot be trusted to attend games following his third ban.

Cumming formed part of a group of Rangers diehards The Union Bears outside Ibrox Stadium on September 17, 2022.

He threw a boiled sweet at a police vehicle during a mass disturbance after a match against Dundee United.

READ NEXT: Masked thug jailed for blowtorch robbery

He initially told officers he was not part of the group but during a search, he was found to be wearing a Union Bears t-shirt.

Cumming and twin brother Dean were branded by another sheriff as a "Disgrace to Rangers Football Club" in 2016 after they ran onto the pitch following the Scottish Cup final against Hibernian.

Cumming, of the city's Easterhouse, was stated to have acted in an aggressive manner towards the opposition fans at the time.

He pleaded guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to his latest charge of breach of the peace.

The court heard that police were alerted to a "large scale disturbance" involving The Union Bears on Broomloan Road at 4.50pm.

READ NEXT: Two men arrested by Glasgow cycle officers 'breaching city centre exclusion zone'

Prosecutor Ryan Diamond said: "The Union Bears are understood to be a football casual group who are known to the police who regularly engage in disorder and violence with rivals fans and other Rangers fans."

Around 50 people in dark-coloured tracksuits - many wearing scarves and hoods to conceal their identity - were noted at the scene.

Officers attempted to contain the group.

READ NEXT: Father of man accused of inappropriately touching Amber Gibson gives evidence

Mr Diamond said: "Cumming was seen to jump into the area and throw an object at the front offside window of the public order carrier.

"He tried to make good his escape running north but was tripped up by an officer and taken to the prone position and arrested."

Cumming was taken into custody where he denied knowledge of The Union Bears.

Mr Diamond added: "However, while being searched, he was seen to be wearing a t-shirt bearing the words Union Bears and no surrender.

"He later admitted being part of the group."

Douglas McAllister, defending, told the court that he has directly analogous previous convictions from five and six years ago.

The lawyer added: "He described himself as being mildly intoxicated which is no excuse.

"The missile he threw he said was a boiled sweet from his pocket.

"Officers should not face this during their employment."

Cumming was fined £450 and tagged for 245 days keeping him indoors between 8pm and 7am as well as the lengthy football ban.

Sheriff Valerie Mays said: "If you breach this order there will only be one outcome.

"You committed these offences only a couple of months after your previous football ban came to an end.

"You simply cannot be trusted to go to a football match."