A Glasgow mum who is allergic to trees feels like a “prisoner” in her own home.

Mary Duncan suffers from allergies to tree and oak moss which both leave her “burning” and “tingling” when she comes into contact with them.

The 58-year-old also claims she can’t get a job because her allergy makes her face swell so much she cannot leave the house.

Now she is desperate to get rid of two large pine trees, which are believed to be around 70-years-old, in her garden that she cannot afford to cut down.

Glasgow Times: Mary has an allergy to trees Mary has an allergy to trees (Image: Newsquest)

Glasgow Times: Mary feels trapped in her homeMary feels trapped in her home (Image: Newsquest)

Mary told the Glasgow Times: “I am a prisoner in my own home because of the trees.

“My face gets really red and swollen which burns me, it is because the pine needles from the branches go everywhere.

“I refuse to leave the house when I have a flare up so I can’t work, it has made my depression and anxiety a lot worse.

“It would cost around £1,400 to cut them down which we don’t have, I am really worried about the future of my health.”

Glasgow Times: Mary refuses to leave the house when her face flares upMary refuses to leave the house when her face flares up (Image: Newsquest)

Mary claims she has begged her housing association for more than four years to step in as she believes her long term health is at risk.

However, The Wheatley Group told the Glasgow Times they won’t cut the trees as it is “the tenant's responsibility”.

They did confirm that Mary and her partner Ian MacClean, 54, are priority for a move instead and have cut the trees back in the meantime.

Glasgow Times: Mary with partner Ian who want to get rid of the 70-year-old trees which are triggering her allergyMary with partner Ian who want to get rid of the 70-year-old trees which are triggering her allergy (Image: Newsquest)

Ian added: “We have spent thousands of pounds decorating our home since moving in, we don’t want to leave it.

“We just want the trees to be cut down so Mary’s allergies aren’t as bad, something really needs to be done.

“Moving is an option we will consider but nothing seems to be done to help us.”

Mary believes she developed her tree allergy almost five years ago, but has suffered a perfume allergy her whole life.

Tree moss, also known as Pseudevernia furfuracea, is a lichenized species of fungus that grows on the bark of firs and pines.

The species has numerous human uses, including use in perfume, which could be triggering her negative reaction.

A Wheatley Homes Glasgow spokesperson said: “Care of the garden is the tenant’s responsibility.

“We have supported the tenant by cutting back the trees at the foot of the garden. We’ve also fitted new fencing and paving slabs.

“We will continue to keep in regular contact with the tenant and help in any way we can.”