An appeal for old photos of a historic 19th century Glasgow fountain has been launched ahead of a condition survey.

The Cameron Memorial Fountain at Charing Cross has been fenced off for months amid safety concerns.

The famous red terracotta ‘tilting’ fountain has been sited at the junction of Sauchiehall Street and Woodside Crescent since 1896.

Glasgow Times: Cameron Memorial Fountain

It sat outside the Grand Hotel until it was demolished in 1969, to make way for the M8 motorway.

The tilt of the structure was first reported almost 100 years ago, in 1926, and has been subject to a number of checks since then.

Now, Glasgow City Council is working with Fiona Sinclair, a conservation-accredited architect, to carry out a condition survey of the fountain.

As part of the work it is asking the public if they have any historic photos of the fountain over the years.

The B-listed fountain designed by architect Robert Bryden of Clarke and Bell and Mr Lightbody of Doulton & Co.  was built in honour of Sir Charles Cameron a newspaper editor and a Liberal politician.

A former editor of the North British Daily Mail in the city, Cameron was also a leader in the temperance movement.

He was at the inauguration of the fountain with his wife Lady Cameron in 1896.

He lived until 1925, one year before the tilt was first detected.

The West End News & Partick Advertiser wrote at the time that the tilt had been reported to the Master of Works at Glasgow Corporation, as the fountain was “leaning and could fall down”. 

Almost 100 years later it is still standing and is a landmark in the area.

Checks were made at the time and caried out at regular intervals until the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939. 

Since then, checks are understood to have been made in 1974 and in 1995, when a cost was also established to straighten the fountain. 

Any photographs should be emailed to and the email subject box should read CMF or Cameron Memorial Fountain.