A Clydebank man who abused a shopkeeper and hurled "hideous" abuse at cops has been jailed.

Kevin O'Neill appeared from custody at Dumbarton Sheriff Court last week for sentencing over a string of offences dating back more than two years ago.

The 31-year-old previously admitted acting in an aggressive manner at the USave in Dumbarton Road on January 12, 2022, refuse to leave, and shouted and swore at him. He also broke the front door, and was on bail at the time.

A year later, on January 19, 2023, he had a metal bat in a public place, and acting in an threatening and abusive manner on a journey to Clydebank police office.

He shouted, swore, repeatedly hit a door with the bat and uttered threatening remarks to cops, some of which were homophobic and transphobic.

O'Neill was granted bail after that incident and put on a curfew, which he broke on March 13, 2023 when he wasn't at home in Trafalgar Street, Clydebank.

At a sentencing hearing on January 23, the court was told that O'Neill - previously of Tallant Terrace, Drumchapel, and then Burns Street, Dalmuir - entered the USave shop and asked for some free sweets.

The shopkeeper declined and asked him to leave due to his level of obvious intoxication.

The man refused and began to shout and swear. When at first it appeared he did leave, he was found standing just outside the door and he continued to shout and swear abuse at the shopkeeper.

At this point he was told he was barred and O'Neill punched the door, causing it to break. There was £150 in damage.

A year later, in the early hours of January 19, O'Neill had been consuming drugs and alcohol. Around 10am he was seen with a metal bat with a plastic bag tied around the handle.

A witness contacted West Dunbartonshire Council's housing officers, who arrived at the Dumbarton Road property about 10 minutes later.

They saw the man acting aggressively and striking the bat off the door.

He was shouting, "It's my house", "F***ing let me in" and "Who the f*** are you?"

The housing officers backed away and police soon arrived. He was told to drop the bat, which he did.

Officers arrested him and put him in a vehicle where he continued to shout abuse.

He said: "I'm going to stick it in you" and "See if I wanted to hit someone with a bat, I would."

O'Neill also said to one of the officers: "What are you, a man or a t****y?" and "I'm not one of them f****t gimps."

Defence solicitor Judith Reid admitted: "There's absolutely no mitigation in terms of the offences.

"When he is sober, he doesn't behave in this way. He is a family man, he looked after children and he is polite.

"But you hear what he is like when he is not sober.

"He was causing his family considerable anguish with the amount of alcohol consumed. He was reported to police for periods [where he was] missing."

Sheriff William Gallacher said: "The behaviour to those around you is utterly hideous. I cannot deal with this in any other way."

He jailed O'Neill for a total of eight months, backdated to December 26.