GLASGOW and Bonnie Prince Charlie did not get along.

On April 16, 1746, the Jacobites and Hanoverians met in battle at Culloden. This was the final episode of the Jacobite Rising in which Charles Edward Stuart attempted to reclaim the British throne for his family.

The battle ended in defeat for the Jacobites and Bonnie Prince Charlie became a fugitive.

Glasgow Times: Bonnie Prince Charlie

He was a deeply unpopular figure in Glasgow, a Hanoverian city, which supported the government forces.

Bonnie Prince Charlie’s dealings with Glasgow began in September 1745 when he demanded funds from the council to support his Jacobite army.

Glasgow had everything to fear from the invading host. It had consistently supported the House of Hanover, and at the Earl of Mar’s rising in 1715 had raised forces to oppose the Jacobite campaign.

In view of their loyalty to the Hanoverians the ordinary people of Glasgow panicked. On September 14 and 15, many hid their clothes and other  goods.

READ NEXT: The 150-year-old law that changed Glasgow schools forever

The next day there was a false alarm that the Jacobites were entering Glasgow and those who were able to run fled out of the town.

Those at the foot of the town thought they saw smoke and believed that the rebels were setting Glasgow on fire.

The city was totally without defence. A small force of 30 Royal Scots Fusiliers with one officer had been quartered in the town but was ordered to Dumbarton Castle.

Glasgow Times: Demand from the Jacobites to Glasgow's Town Council

The payment of the £15,000 demanded would have brought financial ruin to Glasgow.

Provost Andrew Cochrane was very able and on receipt of the demand for money, he convened a meeting in the new Town Hall of the Council and all the principal inhabitants of the city.

Glasgow Times: Andrew Cochrane, Provost of Glasgow

It was agreed that a deputation of four would negotiate with the rebels. The deputation went no further than Kilsyth as the Prince had left for Edinburgh.

That day the provost wrote to the Lord Justice and the Lord Advocate. He referred to Glasgow as naked and defenceless, without arms, observing that Glasgow’s case was “very deplorable, forcing the city to negotiate with a pretend prince and rebels.”

The prince returned to the city, staying in the Shawfield Mansion, from December 25, 1745 until January 3, 1746.

Glasgow Times: Shawfield Mansion

He demanded further financial assistance, asking that Glasgow equip his army with 6000 short cloth coats, 12,000 linen shirts, 6000 pairs of shoes and pairs of tartan hose, and blue bonnets.

Glasgow’s citizens wanted little to do with him. He appeared four times publicly in the streets, without acclamation, ringing of bells or any respect or acknowledgement by any of the inhabitants. The women showed no curiosity to go near him and refused to attend a ball held by his chiefs.

The most memorable event of the Jacobite occupation of Glasgow  was Charles’ review of his forces on Glasgow Green.

READ NEXT: Glasgow's greatest comic Billy Connolly in 11 iconic pictures

He was, however, not entirely without friends. He was reputed to have met his long-term mistress, Clementine, and mother of his child, at Shawfield Mansion. She was the daughter of the loyal Jacobite, the Laird of Walkinshaw.

The prince renewed his demand for financial support from the city. The only armed forces left in Scotland were in the garrisons in Edinburgh, Stirling and Dumbarton castles and in three forts in the Highlands.

Once again Provost Cochrane and commissioners appointed by the Town Council negotiated a reduction in the financial requested. City inhabitants produced whatever banknotes they had to pay up.

In support of the reigning monarch and to avoid further financial demands, Glasgow mobilised two regiments of 600 men each. The Jacobite forces left Scotland for England in October.

Glasgow was for ever grateful to the Duke of Cumberland for his victory at Culloden.

On April 21, 1746, the city celebrated Charles’ defeat by holding a cake and wine banquet to honour the leader of the Hanoverian forces.

The council honoured Cumberland in various other ways. On June 11, 1746, he was awarded the freedom of the city.

On September 26, 1746, the magistrates authorised a payment of fifty-six pounds and two shillings for a gold box to hold his burgess ticket. The box had both the Duke’s and the Town’s arms engraved on it.