A MAN who smashed into three cars before driving off was later found with a bottle of Buckfast in his passenger seat.

Ryan Anderson was travelling along an adjoining road onto Greenhill Road in Rutherglen at around 6.30pm on July 27, 2023.

At the time several other motorists were within their vehicles, which were stopped at a red traffic signal, on Greenhill Road.

The 40-year-old collided with one car causing it to spin. The occupants described feeling a "strong impact". 

Anderson then collided with a second vehicle before stopping.

One of the drivers left their vehicle and approached Anderson to check on him.

He began grabbing the steering wheel and looking around attempting to drive off, almost striking another vehicle.

Anderson then struck a third vehicle, which was stationary, causing significant damage to the rear side bumper.

He briefly continued driving before coming to a stop.

Police attended and saw the other motorists who appeared to be shaken by the incident.

Officers also noticed debris along the road.

Anderson was traced nearby still sitting in the driver’s seat. Cops noticed damage to his car.

They also saw a bottle of Buckfast and cans of alcohol on the passenger’s side.

Anderson was seen to be unsteady on his feet and his eyes appeared to be glazed.

He confirmed that he was the driver but refused to provide a specimen of breath.

Anderson was taken to London Road police station, where he cooperated with a test. 

He provided a reading of 62 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres (ml) of breath. In Scotland, the legal limit is 22 microgrammes per 100 ml.

He was almost three times the limit. 

He was cautioned and charged and made no reply.

Anderson, of Rutherglen, appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court on May 30 for sentencing after pleading guilty to charges including driving whilst under the influence of alcohol, failing to keep proper control of a vehicle, colliding with motor vehicles, driving away after said collisions, driving at excess speed, and causing other road users to take evasive action to avoid collision.

The procurator fiscal told the court there was no information available on the cost of the damage to the other vehicles.

Anderson’s lawyer said that his client had no outstanding matters and was not fit to carry out unpaid work.

Addressing Anderson, Sheriff Patricia Pryce said: “You put everybody at risk.”

Sheriff Pryce imposed a community payback order with social work supervision for 12 months.

Anderson was also tagged for 30 weeks and has to remain within his home between 7pm and 7am.

He was disqualified from driving for 20 months.

Anderson was also ordered to pay fines totalling £540.