A MAN will stand trial accused of threatening to rape a lone 16-year-old girl.

Michael Roberts, 34, allegedly behaved in a threatening or abusive manner in Glasgow's Maryhill on November 29, 2021.

Court papers state Roberts approached the first girl while driving a motor vehicle.

READ MORE: Glasgow robber snared for bank raid after handing over his card with his name on it

It is claimed he engaged her in conversation, offered her transport within the vehicle.

He is then said to have made comments about her appearance, asked her age and made sexual remarks towards her.

Roberts is accused of asking her to engage in sexual activity with him and when she refused, he is said to have acted aggressively towards her.

He allegedly drove alongside her, demanded she entered the vehicle and opened the door before making the rape threat.

Roberts faces a similar charge towards two further unknown lone 16-year-old girls in the city's Cardonald.

He allegedly stopped his vehicle to stare at a second girl and engaged her in conversation before asking for directions.

It is stated Roberts went on to request she enter his vehicle in order to show the route.

Roberts is claimed to have repeatedly offered quantities of money after she refused.

The charge states Roberts repeatedly asked questions about her age and place of work as well as said sexual remarks about her appearance.

The other charge claims he approached the third girl in the motor vehicle and engaged her in conversation before asking where he could buy alcohol.

A final charge states that Roberts breached his bail conditions by being out his home between 8pm and 6am on February 15, 2022.

Roberts appeared in the dock at Glasgow Sheriff Court where he pleaded not guilty to the four charges.

READ MORE: Monkeypox outbreak delays defence report for trial of Covid charge MP Margaret Ferrier

His lawyer Michael Tierney told the court: "He intends to go to trial at this stage.

"We anticipate given the nature of the trial it will last three days."

Prosecutor Hannah Sweeney disputed the length of trial due to the number of witnesses and believed four or five days was "more realistic."

The trial was set for November by Sheriff Gerard Considine.