A FORMER Old Firm youth player who killed a teenager in a drunken hit-and-run was jailed today for six years.

Ciaran Dickson, 22, struck Aidan Pilkington, 18, in Glasgow's Anniesland on September 11, 2021.

Dickson got behind the wheel after consuming a number of beers and cocktails with a friend.

The ex-Celtic B player - later raced down a road where Aidan was crossing and dragged him along the ground.

Dickson — also a former Rangers youth star - then fled the scene and abandoned his rented Mercedes car close to his home.

Aidan meantime suffered significant head injuries which he succumbed to later in hospital.

Dickson pleaded guilty at the High Court in Glasgow to causing death by dangerous driving.

Judge Lord Colbeck said today that the sentencing range for the offence was between seven to 12 years.

The judge stated that he would have sentenced Dickson for eight years but for his plea of guilty.

He added: "Nothing I can say or do can compensate for his death.

Glasgow Times: Ciaran DicksonCiaran Dickson (Image: Spindrift)

"After the sentence I have imposed has been served, you can move on with your life while there is an appalling loss which his family and friends will have to endure.

"The measured and dignified victim impact statements describe movingly how Aidan was a much-loved friend, son and grandson.

"I recognise you didn't intend to cause harm but the quantity of alcohol and speed you travelled was someone who was clearly reckless to what harm was caused."

The judge also cited the young person's sentencing guidelines for offenders under 25 which he had to take into account.

Lord Colbeck said: "As a young person, you will have a lower level of maturity with great capability to change.

"Your behaviour suggests that you lacked maturity and unable to express good judgement and making decisions."

Dickson was also disqualified from driving for nine years and he must sit the extended test before he can regain his licence.

As he was led to the cells, Dickson stuck his thumb up to his family in the public gallery and said: "Love you, see you later."

The court earlier heard that Dickson, now of Erskine, Renfrewshire, was employed by Celtic's B team at the time of the offence.

He went to the restaurant Duck Bay Marina in Loch Lomond with a friend in the early evening.

Dickson drank a pint of lager and a bottle of Corona before he drove to Q Club in Glasgow city centre.

CCTV confirmed that Dickson drunk a further two pints of lager before he drove to The Black Horse bar in the city's Summerston.

Dickson consumed three pints of the strong cocktail venom which was also topped up with an extra measure of vodka.

Aidan - who was to embark on his first year as a university student - was out with school friends that night drinking alcohol and left the pub around 11.30pm.

He was en route to a friend's house when the collision occurred on Crow Road around midnight.

Glasgow Times:

Aidan's friend Ben Smith recalled seeing a vehicle a "distance away" and believed there was enough time to cross the road. Aidan followed behind him.

Prosecutor John Keenan KC said: "Mr Smith was walking within the two lanes when he realised the car was getting closer, faster than he expected.

"He could not estimate the speed of the vehicle, but it caused him to 'quicken up'.

"He was halfway into the lane when he turned around to see if Aidan was following.

"He observed that Aidan was halfway into the nearside lane of the road."

Mr Smith stated that a white car struck Aidan when he was positioned between the two lanes.

He added that he did not remember Aidan being run over by the car but to "have travelled for around 10 to 15 metres with the car."

Other witnesses described hearing a loud bang and a thud as well as seeing Aidan on the ground.

He was noted to be unconscious with blood coming from his mouth and ears.

Aidan was also found to have an exposed fractured skull, very shallow breathing and CPR was carried out at the scene by medics.

Aidan was taken to hospital where he remained unresponsive and life was pronounced extinct at 1.55am.

Meantime, Dickson drove off at speed which witnesses believed was around 50 to 70 miles per hour.

He abandoned his vehicle and was later found to have run 178 metres back to his home which was discovered after his fitness watch was seized by police.

Damage was noted to the vehicle which also included a missing Mercedes Benz badge.

Dickson handed himself into police the next day at the London Road police office in the shadow of Celtic Park.

He gave a no-comment interview to police and failed to give the name of the driver on a second occasion. Dickson was finally arrested in June.

A post-mortem examination was carried out which revealed major external injuries to Aidan's head and trunk.

Aidan suffered bruising and wounds to his forehead, scalp, eye and cheek.

There was also a full-thickness wound to the back of his head surrounded by bruising.

Mr Keenan added: "Pathologists considered that the injuries to the front and back of the head were consistent with a run over or dragging type scenario."

Further injuries included to the abdomen and pelvis as well as a number of rib fractures.

An internal examination revealed a large skull fracture which was associated with a small amount of bleeding on the surface of the brain.

Pathologists considered that a brain injury might be responsible for the "very rapid death."

Mr Keenan said: "The major cause of death is considered to be severe head injury which is consistent with being sustained as a result of road traffic collision."

It was also suggested that Aidan was not standing at the time of the collision. It is not known if he slipped or fell.

Collision investigators believed Dickson was travelling between 64 and 71 miles per hour at the time.

Forensic scientists calculated that Dickson was approximately more than three times over the drink-drive limit.

Thomas Ross KC, defending, told the sentencing that Dickson showed remorse to the author of his background report.

The advocate said: "He accepts that he is fully deserving of punishment.

"He found himself in a position that thousands of young men would give their right arm for to hope to find themselves as a senior professional with two of the clubs.

"He was released from one of them and then signed by the other. He threw it all away - it's his fault.

"Mr Dickson has suffered greatly as a result of his reckless conduct."

Dickson's previous convictions include careless driving from December 2020 when he was hit with three penalty points.

He was also convicted of a domestic offence in April 2023 when he was ordered to do 180 hours of unpaid work.

Dickson - who was tipped for first-team football - was released by Celtic having scored two goals in his first two appearances for the B team.