A thug grabbed a man by the throat after the loud music he played woke him up.

Charles Keenan, 57, pounced on Hammad Khan outside their flat building in Glasgow's Pollokshields on October 13, 2023.

Keenan was enraged after he was awakened by Mr Khan's music which was playing from his car.

The attacker initially threatened to "break" Mr Khan in front of his wife and young child.

He then returned armed with a knife before he held Mr Khan around his neck.

Mr Khan's frightened partner had to intervene to separate the pair.

Keenan pleaded guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to assaulting Mr Khan.

He also admitted behaving in a threatening or abusive manner as well as having a knife without a reasonable excuse or lawful authority.

The court heard that the victim had returned home from shopping with his wife and five-year-old daughter.

He parked his vehicle outside the common close of the property.

Prosecutor Heather Morrison said: "The victim had music playing from his car at the time.

"Mr Khan went out to remove bags of shopping while his wife remained in the front passenger seat.

"Keenan came out from his property then shouted and swore at him."

Keenan stated: "F***ing turn that music off, shut the f***ing music up. You just woke me up."

Mr Khan replied: "There is no need to swear there are children here."

The pair then got into an argument for a short while.

Keenan shouted: "You come here and I will show you - I will take you out and break you.

"Let me get shoes on and I will break you."

Keenan went momentarily back inside his home before he confronted Mr Khan with a large kitchen knife.

Miss Morrison added: "Keenan grabbed Mr Khan by the throat and pinned him against the wall.

"Mr Khan's wife came between them and was successful in doing so."

Mr Khan left the scene while Keenan continued to shout at him.

The police were then contacted by Mr Khan's wife.

Taylor Muir, defending, told today/yesterday's sentencing: "This was a dreadful incident - he is 57 and this is only his second matter before the court but this was not long after his first conviction.

"He doesn't recall the incident due to intoxication."

Sheriff Allan McKay ordered Keenan to do 135 hours of unpaid work and put him under supervision as well as alcohol counselling for a year.

Keenan was also tagged for 90 days keeping him indoors between 10pm and 6am.

The sheriff stated: "If there was not an alternative, you would be sent to prison. 

"This was a nasty incident and would have been terrifying for the victims involved, in particular the child witness."