A THUG attacked a taxi driver who beeped his horn for a customer in a mistaken case of road rage.

Ibraheem Khan, 27, pounced on Abdelella Yousif in Glasgow’s St George’s Cross on November 13, 2022.

Mr Yousif had pulled in behind Khan who was stopped at a green light and sounded his horn to alert a customer of his presence.

Khan’s passenger shouted at Mr Yousif before he initially drove off then pulled up in front of the taxi driver.

Khan and his passenger went on to punch Mr Yousif on the head which left him with a fractured nose.

The attacker then drove off down the wrong side of the road before crashing his vehicle into another car.

Khan’s defence advocate John Scullion KC told Glasgow Sheriff Court that the incident arose out of a “misunderstanding".

He pleaded guilty on Thursday to assaulting Mr Yousif to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

Khan, of the city's Kelvinside, also admitted a separate charge of dangerous driving.

The court heard that Khan’s Volkswagen Golf vehicle was stopped at a green light when Mr Yousif pulled in behind him.

Mr Yousif sounded his horn to indicate to his customer that he had arrived.

Occupants in the Golf took issue with this with one of the passengers shouting at Mr Yousif.

Khan moved off through the lights and came to a stop a short distance ahead of Mr Yousif’s taxi.

The driver pulled further into the road to collect his customer before Khan reversed his vehicle closer to the taxi.

Khan’s passenger shouted and gestured aggressively at Mr Yousif before the pair exited the Golf.

Prosecutor Alasdair Knox said: “Mr Yousif’s driver's side window was open at this time.

“The male passenger proceeded to punch the victim to the head and face through the window.

“The male passenger then opened the driver door, whilst continuing to punch Mr Yousif.”

The victim then pushed himself out of the vehicle when Khan approached him.

Mr Knox added: “Khan proceeded to repeatedly punch him to the head.

“This part of the assault lasted between 10 and 14 seconds. Khan then walked back towards the Golf.”

Mr Yousif’s nose was burst and covered in blood due to the attack.

Khan drove off at speed and entered the wrong side of the road before returning to the correct lane.

He also failed to stop at two red traffic lights before he collided with a vehicle near St George's Cross subway station.

Police attended and noted "significant damage" to both vehicles.

Mr Yousif was taken to hospital where he was treated for a nasal fracture, swelling to his face, oral cavity damage, a chipped front tooth and a loose tooth.

Mr Scullion told the court: "There was a misunderstanding at the driver beeping his horn to alert the customer.

"There was a road rage incident as it was thought he was beeping the horn at the Golf – it is accepted that there was a misunderstanding."

Sentence was deferred pending background reports until May by Sheriff Andrew Cubie who disqualified Khan from driving in the interim period.

The sheriff said: "I will continue bail – be aware all sentencing options remain open due to the consequences of the assault and the nature of the driving."