A SERIOUSLY ill couple have blasted housing bosses after their home was flooded FIVE times in one year while grieving the loss of their two sons.

Liz and David Rennie say they have been left thousands of pounds out of pocket due to damage and redecorating costs after their kitchen, bedroom and bathroom were soaked as water poured in through the ceilings.

The pensioners also say that moisture has caused damp and mould to grow on their furniture – as well as mushrooms to form on walls.

Liz suffers from leukaemia and chronic liver disease, while David has emphysema and vasculitis. They say the housing situation is now making their health problems worse.

Liz, 74, from Milton, exclusively told the Glasgow Times: “I’m not sure how much more of this we can take. We have been pushed to breaking point.

“I’m getting so stressed out with it all. Every time you repair the damage, we are flooded again and it’s taking a toll on our health.

“We’ve always looked after our place and kept it looking nice, but the past year has just pushed us to the brink financially and emotionally.

Glasgow Times: Liz with her damaged ceiling.Liz with her damaged ceiling. (Image: Go)

“At one-point things got so bad that we had mushroom growing from the ceiling and when we complained to housing officials they just came out and brushed them off. It’s not getting to the root of the problem; the flats are pre-war and the walls stink of dampness. I’ve reached the stage where I don’t want to buy anything nice for my home because I know it will get ruined the next time there’s a flood.”

Liz and David, 70, moved into the now Wheatley Homes-run ground floor flat in Torogay Street 15 years ago, and say they are constantly having to replace furniture in their bedroom due to the issues with mould.

Liz explained: “I’ve had to throw away good furniture because the back of it is covered in mould. Within weeks of buying anything new, it starts to form. It’s as if there’s a dampness in the place that we just can’t get rid of.

Glasgow Times: The water damage in the couple's house is clear to see.The water damage in the couple's house is clear to see. (Image: Supplied)

“We’ve had water running down the walls and windows in the bathroom, leaving the place soaking. The window-ledge is also cracking due to persistent water damage and we’ve been left with cracks in the ceiling where the water keeps seeping through.

“On another occasion our kitchen was completely ruined. Pretty much everything had to go including the oven, hob and expensive flooring we had put down. In total we’ve been flooded five times over the last year. Each time housing bosses apologise, but that’s no longer good enough. There is no point patching it up, they need to get to the root cause and fix it.”

Glasgow Times:

Liz says her housing situation has been a huge burden as she continues to grieve the loss of her two sons. Sergio and Moreno passed away just five months apart in 2021, leaving the family heartbroken.

Sergio, 51, passed away after suffering an aneurysm while Moreno, 46, died due to an undiagnosed heart problem.

A tearful Liz said: “Losing both my sons in such a short space of time was an agony that no mother should have to endure. They were both fit and healthy and we never thought for a second anything like this would happen. We are still grieving as a family and I miss them every day.

“Part of the reason my home means as lot to me is that I have a memorial bench with my son’s pictures in our garden. It’s a place where I go and sit to feel close to them. It’s part of the reason why I don’t want to leave here, it holds so many memories with my boys.”

The exasperated couple recently turned to Labour councillor Robert Mooney for help.

Glasgow Times: Cllr Robert Mooney

Mr Mooney told the Glasgow Times: “It’s shocking that a grieving couple with such serious health issues are also having to deal with persistent flooding issues. It’s totally unacceptable and the stress of the situation is clearly taking a toll on their health. I’ll be raising the matter with Wheatley Homes and will be encouraging them to sort the issues promptly to ensure this does not happen again.

A Wheatley Homes spokesperson today issued the couple with an apology and said they will look to have the problems remedied once and for all.

They added: “We’re sorry it has taken so long to get the leak fixed and for any stress caused to the couple. 

“We carried out several repairs to the flat upstairs to fix the leak. These repairs were completed in January. The most recent issue this week was caused by a tap being left running in the property above.

“Any small patches of damp and mould were treated very quickly, and we’ve offered to help redecorate any areas affected. The couple were also offered a temporary move but declined. We’ll continue to keep in regular contact with them and will continue to do everything we can to help.”