A killer who once sparked controversy after going on the run has been convicted of horror sex attacks on two women.

Steven Wilson had also held the terrified pair hostage during the crimes spanning 10 years.

The now 60-year-old had been through a number of jails and psychiatric facilities since being convicted in 1988 of stabbing a man to death outside a London pub.

He was found guilty of manslaughter at Knightsbridge Crown Court on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

In 2012, Wilson absconded after failing to return from unescorted leave back to Leverndale Hospital in Glasgow. 

There was outrage after it emerged he had been on the loose for two weeks before the public was warned of his dangerous past.

It only came to light when a Scottish Government civil servant accidentally sent an email to the media discussing Wilson, who had also previously gone AWOL from the State Hospital at Carstairs.

Wilson is now back in prison having been convicted of these latest offences at the High Court in Glasgow.

He preyed on the first woman between July 1999 and July 2000.

This included a violent rape at a high-rise flat in Glasgow's Knightswood.

As well as the sex attack, Wilson also held a gun to the woman's head, brandished a knife, locked her in the property and broke her mobile phone.

The second woman was repeatedly raped including in a van in an industrial estate in the city's Springburn between 2005 and 2009.

Wilson also tormented this traumatised victim at a flat in Renfrew.

She was punched, slapped, threatened and held against her will.

Both women later bravely revealed to police how they had each suffered at Wilson's hands.

He was found guilty of four charges involving the assault, rape and abduction of each victim.

After the verdicts, Iain McSporran, defending, stated he will not be looking for Wilson to be made subject of a "mental health disposal".

The KC said he expects to "address the court about a prison sentence" and "nothing else" regarding how Wilson should be dealt.

Lord Fairley remanded Wilson in custody as the case was adjourned until July 24 in Edinburgh.