With winter just around the corner, you may well be thinking about switching the heating on to keep cosy during the colder months. 

Unfortunately, warming the home doesn't come cheap, but there is some government help available for those who need it this winter. 

From discounts on your electricity bills to help with insulating your house, there are a few scheme which might help you save money. 

Here's what you need to know...

What help and discounts are available to help warm your home this winter?

Warm Home Discount Scheme

This is a new scheme available from October 18 2021. 

The scheme offers a one off £140 discount on your electricity bill between October and March. 

You will qualify for the scheme is you are:

  • part of the 'core' group (if you receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit)
  • part of the 'broader' group (you’re on a low income and meet your energy supplier’s criteria for the scheme)

More information on the scheme can be found here

Winter fuel payment

The winter fuel payment is to help pensioners pay their heating bill over the winter. 

It is payable to pensioners born before 26 September 1955 who get the State Pension and get another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit). 

  • Payments of between £100 and £300 can be made to those eligible to help with heating costs over the winter. 

You can find out more here

Warmer Homes Scotland

This scheme aims to make people's homes warmer and cost less to heat by providing help such as: 

  • wall insulation
  • loft insulation
  • draught-proofing
  • boilers and heating
  • renewable and micro-renewable heating system

You might be eligible for help if you're struggling to heat your home and you:

  • are a homeowner or private tenant
  • have also lived in the property for at least 12 months

You can find out more here

Child Winter Heating Assistance

This payment is to help with increased heating costs over the winter.

The payment of up to £200 is available to children and young people up to 18 who:

  • get the highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance for children
  • be resident in Scotland

You can find out more here.