MY neighbour removed the boundary hedge between our respective owned properties without my consent and then erected a panel fence which is at least half a foot into my ground.

As a result, my proposed conservatory had to be reduced by a third of a metre wide.

I have complained to the local authority and had meetings with them but nothing can be done?

The council only see things from a planning and building control point of view, not a property ownership one. If your land has been encroached upon, you can get a court order to have your neighbour remove back to the property boundary – and pay your court costs if they try to defend unsuccessfully.

They cannot squat legally, and any fence they build without your consent must be on their land only.

I LIVE in a first floor housing association flat, above me is my neighbours who privately own theirs. Can you clarify what rules there are if any with regards to the playing of musical instruments at various times of the day and night, and so loud it is very hard to hear my television.

This is a legal nuisance and you can if necessary go to court asking the sheriff to make an interdict order preventing excessive noise.

You should also report the matter to the community warden and/or environmental health dept of the council for enforcement action – could even end up with a court order if they don’t cut down the jamming.

IS a solicitor bound to acknowledge documents we sent to him as evidence? He acknowledges our own letters, but not then additional material.

We are worried that it might get lost and he could say he never got it.

The style a lawyer uses to correspond with clients is personal and every solicitor is different . If you wish him/her to write in a particular way for you, tell him, as he is unlikely to take offence and is almost certainly doing what you wish in his actings for you, and would want to have your confidence and not have you worry about paperwork going astray.

Best practice is to confirm receipt of any papers – it does not take long to do a quick e-mail to you.

I BOUGHT a wardrobe from a furniture retailer. It was flat-pack and was to be assembled at my house by a joiner.

When he opened up the packaging, we discovered that as well as a handle and 2 hinges missing, the door fronts are cream while the carcass is brown as I wanted.

Numerous calls and visits later we are no further forward. What can we do?

You can lawfully reject the goods as not conform to the agreement made, and claim your money back. If they don’t pay up, you can sue them in the sheriff court for your refund plus costs incurred including legal costs.

See a solicitor immediately, and also contact Trading Standards