I GOT into trouble in 1982 and have a criminal record, albeit for one minor offence.

Could that old case be dragged up, say if I am going for a job or joining a golf club? I am respectable and would not wish a tarnish on my name.

UNDER the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, most agencies and companies are not entitled to know about spent convictions.

There are various rules and time limits, but a minor offence from 1982 would be long spent and can remain hidden - unless you were going for a job in certain key areas of care or justice where the time limits don’t apply.

MY dog attacked a neighbour’s young daughter – not seriously, but bit her on the leg.

The parents came round and although it was clear that my dog is not dangerous as such – the child from next door was actually throwing stones at it – they are really angry and won’t listen to reason. Can they claim against me as the dog owner?

EITHER the parent can claim on their daughter’s behalf or she can claim (you don’t say her age and this matters).

You as the keeper or owner of the dog have strict liability for appropriate compensation in this event. However, such a minor injury would get hardly any financial recompense – we don’t have punitive awards and all awards are based purely on the extent of injury and suffering.

IN April 2015 I fell while crossing the road when a pothole at the kerb got me.

I was injured - whole side and head very sore with scraping and scratches and ,though I healed up, I still get pain in my hip going into my back.

I wrote to the council involved and sent photos, but they said the state of the road was fine. It has not been fixed and is still a hazard. Where do I go from here?

TRIP and slip claims can be difficult to establish, as the law requires everyone to take care and look where they are walking.

The matter depends on how deep and wide the gap where you fell is, and whether the council had a system for checking and repairing pavements, and stuck to it. my strong suggestion is that you see a claims solicitor for a more in-depth assessment.

And watch out for the three year time bar. You need to make enquiries with a lawyer NOW.

I RECENTLY bought a newly built house.

The workmanship is poor, with cladding dislodged, paint peeling and brickwork exposed.

Although the builders have given me verbal assurances the work will be remedied, it still isn’t in acceptable condition two months after move in.

Is there any legal route I can go to ensure repair is speeded up? My lawyer isn’t pushing hard enough.

THREATEN them that you will sue for their failure to meet the proper standards of work, and complain to the National House Building Council (NHBC) www.nhbc.co.uk or tel. 01494 735363. And tell your lawyer you want weekly reports of his/her actions for you without fail.