I’VE been falsely reported to the DWP by a malevolent phone call. DWP are now investigating me. Who would I best approach to help me with this?

CERTAINLY a solicitor can help and you may very well be eligible for legal aid. Assuming so, your solicitor can find out more detail about what is being alleged, and help you get the evidence together to contest it. if benefits are cut or withheld, you are entitled to make an appeal against that. If you don’t want a solicitor then you could start with local CAB office for preliminary advice.

MY neighbour refuses to trim back massive overhanging branches on my side of the fence. They are causing all sorts of problems – including the leaves blocking gutters and us having to clean our monoblocking five times a year.

YOU can cut back his branches overhanging your garden and give the branches back to the neighbour if he refuses to trim them.

MY aunt suffered a stroke, and is in a care home. Her brother has declared that he is next of kin. He stated that since he is the next oldest he is automatically in charge and has taken control over my aunt¹s financial affairs.

I think this is wrong as my aunt is capable of speaking for herself and can state who she wants to take care of her. I do not know who my aunt’s lawyer is or if she has appointed a power of attorney either. What can be done to protect her?

IT doesn’t matter who is oldest or indeed closest in blood ties. Speak to your aunt to see if she wants you to be appointed as her attorney if one is not yet in place.

She will presumably know, but if not, you can find out if there is such a document registered with the Public Guardian’s Office. Indeed I would suggest you urgently contact the Office of the Public Guardian (tel 01324 678300) www.publicguardian-scotland.gov.uk who can advise you as to your rights to be appointed and what paperwork is needed. Or get a solicitor who is familiar with creating powers of attorney.

IS there any law to prevent crazy names being given to babies in Scotland?

IT is the responsibility of parents to name children, but the registration of those names is the responsibility of the local Registrar, who may use their judgment to refuse to register an offensive or otherwise objectionable name – in the same way he or she can refuse to register if the parent turns up drunk or is abusive.

Naming of children is a parental legal responsibility and if not carried out correctly can lead to consequences in law through the courts or social work for a reckless parent. That said some names are legal if loopy (Gandalf, Gazza, Arsenal – I kid you not) given to kids, and don’t forget the name can be changed later by the parents, or by the child.