ALAN ARCHIBALD is hoping to add midfielder Gary Fraser to his Partick Thistle squad after he stole the show in their 5-1 win over Annan last night.

The former Hamilton youngster netted a second-half brace at Galabank as Archibald looks for fresh faces ahead of the new SPFL Premiership campaign.

Midfielder Mark Kerr missed the match due to injury and while striker Rory Boulding wasn't part of the Thistle squad, Archibald did run the rule over a central defender.

The Jags boss said: "Boulding is not here at the moment. I have not got back to Rory yet. There were two trialists playing tonight to let us have a look at them and them a look at us.

"Gary has got a choice to make as to where he wants to go. He is a very, very good footballer.

"I invited him in to train with us and he has been brilliant. I think he has enjoyed his time with us.

"He came to Durham with us and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is down to Gary what he wants to do now, he is a very talented boy and he has got options.

"He is 18 years old and he stood out a mile. You could see his quality.

"There will be more coming in. We have got three-and-a-half weeks to go and there will be more coming in until we get what we want.

"Mark Kerr has done really well. There is nothing definite on him either yet, though."

After a below-par showing in the 2-1 defeat to Gateshead on Saturday, Archibald was keen for his side to fire out of the blocks at a sun-drenched Galabank last night.

It didn't take long for their class to shine through, with Jordan McMillan and Christie Elliot doing the damage twice in quick succession.

The striker was first on the scoresheet, finishing well after McMillan drove forward and picked his team-mate from the right flank.

Just minutes later, the roles were reversed as the former Rangers and Dunfermline star tapped home at the back post to double the Jags advantage.

The visitors may have had to wait until the half hour mark to register their third of the evening but it was well worth it as Kris Doolan plucked a terrific Sean Welsh pass out of the air and fired high into the roof of Kenny Arthur's net.

It was Annan who would score arguably the pick of the goals, however, with Matthew Flynn leaving summer signing Paul Gallacher with no chance from 20 yards as he found the top corner just before the break.

With Thistle well in control, Archibald took the chance to shuffle his pack – but it was trialist Fraser who would add gloss to the scoreline, firing home from range and then converting McMillan's centre to make it 5-1.

Archibald said: "It was a much better surface than Saturday.

"Even though it was astroturf, it was much better and you could see the difference. I thought we moved the ball really well.

"The performance was much better.

"It was a wee bit more settled, we tried to give the boys 60 minutes rather than just having two teams. I think you could see the difference."