Danny Wilson’s Glasgow Warriors suffered a third straight loss as Ulster continued their unbeaten start to the season with a bonus-point win at Kingspan Stadium.

TJ Ioane scored early on for Warriors, but they were swamped by a rampant Ulster who had the bonus point in the bag by the interval.

Warriors fought hard throughout and Grant Stewart got a reward just after the hour mark, but this was impressive from Dan McFarland’s side.

Ahead of kick off both teams were forced into late changes, with Sean Kennedy called into the team at scrum half following a knock sustained by Jamie Dobie. Caleb Korteweg came on to the bench and made his debut in the final five minute, while lock Lewis Bean also featured for the first time.

Despite being shorn of so many first team players due to injury and international duties, Warriors looked like a cohesive outfit in the early stages. And after five minutes of dominance they got the try they deserved, when Niko Matawalu came close at the end of two minutes of possession and TJ Ioane barged over the final few inches. Peter Horne’s conversion made it 7-0 to Warriors.

After such a slow start Ulster needed a quick response, and after a dozen minutes they were level. Hooker John Andrew had come close off the back of a driving lineout, but following a high tackle by Ratu Tagive, Ian Madigan kicked Ulster to the corner and Andrew wormed over the try-line following some excellent mauling by Marty Moore.

With an unbeaten record so far in the PRO14 season Ulster came into this game high on confidence, but it was Warriors – who had lost two in a row – that reclaimed the lead in the 20th minute. Andrew was penalised at the breakdown and Horne slotted the penalty kick from the left to make it 10-7.

Fifteen minutes from the interval Ulster reclaimed the lead following their second try, which again came off the back of a maul. Andrew was stopped a yard short of the line, but Coetzee was on hand to finish off the job.

The game was played with huge intensity throughout, and with Ioane and Matawalu very dangerous with ball in hand, Warriors were very threatening. The No. 8 was denied a second try when he knocked on close to the try-line after 29 minutes, while Kennedy also came close after a quick tap penalty three minutes later.

But, instead, it was Ulster that added to their advantage. Carter was held up initially, but off the back of the scrum Coetzee carried and Carter made sure the second time. Cooney converted for a 21-10 lead, there was still time to seal the bonus before the break.

On his 100th Warriors appearance Matawalu was sin binned for a deliberate knock-on, and three minutes into added time Cooney crossed and converted for his side, which gave them a 28-10 half-time lead.

A crossfield kick from Ian Madigan almost produced Ulster’a fifth try after the restart, but Glenn Bryce came to Warriors’ rescue and he then had to be hauled in by Craig Gilroy.

And Ulster soon struck again though when Michael Lowry broke down the left, linked with Andrew and Sean Reidy scored in the corner on his 100th PRO14 appearance.

A crunching tackle from Coetzee was central to Ulster’s sixth try, which was booted through by Matt Faddes after 56 minutes, but Warriors showed impressive fighting spirit when Stewart scored following a powerful driving lineout just after the hour mark, but Ulster easily closed out the game for the five-point haul.


Scoring sequence

(Ulster first): 0-5, 0-7, 5-7, 7-7, 7-10, 12-10, 14-10, 19-10, 21-10, 26-10, 28-10 (half-time); 33-10, 38-10, 40-10, 40-15.


Ulster: Tries: J Andrew (12) M Coetzee (25), S Carter (37), J Cooney (40+3), S Reidy (51), M Faddes (56); Cons: J Cooney (5)

Glasgow: Tries: TJ Ioane (5), G Stewart (61); Cons: P Horne (1). Pens: P Horne (20)

Ulster: M Lowry; C Gilroy, L Marshall (E McIlroy 52), S Moore, M Faddes; I Madigan (B Johnston 48), J Cooney (D Shanahan 69) ; E O’Sullivan (K McCall 61), J Andrew (A McBurney 61), M Moore (G Milasinovich 61); K Treadwell, S Carter (A O’Connor 48); M Rea, S Reidy, M Coetzee (M Rea 61).

Glasgow Warriors: G Bryce; R Tagive, R Fergusson, S McDowall (B Thomson 48), N Matawalu, P Horne, S Kennedy (C Korteweg 75); A Seiuli (A Allan 54), G Stewart (J Matthews 67), E Pieretto (D Rae 52); R Harley (H Bain 74), K McDonald (L Bean 52), R Wilson, T Gordon, TJ Ioane (F Lokotui 54).

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU).