It was the Paul McGinn show at Easter Road last night as the fullback netted a brace to deny St Johnstone a move into the top six for the first time this season.

Twice trailing a spirited St Johnstone side who showed plenty of attacking intent and endeavour, McGinn cancelled out Ali McCann’s opener and then David Wotherspoon’s second-half strike to put Hibs into third spot in the table.

Given the paucity of goals so far in his senior career – 12 goals in 12 seasons – McGinn’s brace might have been a source of some ribbing in the family home as brother John, the Scotland internationalist, took to twitter to applaud the occasion but there were inevitable plaudits closer to home.

“I’m delighted for him,” said Hibs manager Jack Ross. “It’s probably that tangible reward for his performance that he gets on the scoresheet. You obviously want him high up the pitch. What he’s done as a player, he’s grown in his self-belief since he came to Hibs.

“He’s shown he can be a player of stature at a club this size. That shows how he feels about himself. The positives are the character we’re showing. The downside is we’re being easy to score against again.

“Ironically we’ve played better in possession over the last couple of months. It’s about getting both right.”

There was an early setback for Hibs as Paul Hanlon had to gingerly hobble off with a groin strain. Experienced Hibs defender Darren McGregor assumed his place at the centre of defence

Stevie May had posted notice of St Johnstone’s attacking intent early on when he forced his way past Hanlon and got a shot away and although this is a Saints team who don’t have too many goals in them, there was a bit of bite with Michael O’Halloran playing just behind a front pairing of Guy Melamed and May.

Indeed, it was the visitors who took first blood when Ali McCann opened the scoring ten minutes before the break. The 20-year-old, who has attracted a number of suitors this season, capitalised on some lethargy in the Hibs defence. May’s shot had been blocked by Ryan Porteous but got through into the box and has a static Hibs defence watched, McCann nicked in to sink a low shot well beyond the reach of Hibs keeper Ofir Marciano.

Saints barely had time to register the lead than things were back on a level-footing. Paul McGinn and Kevin Nisbet exchanged passes before the former calmly passed the ball into the net.

As both teams pushed for a winner, St Johnstone substitute David Wotherspoon thought he had won it for the visitors when he capitalised on a slack ball before cutting inside and holding off McGregor before finishing.

Again, though, St Johnstone couldn’t hold it as McGinn levelled things eight minutes from time. Sean Mackie’s cross deep into the box was missed by Doidge but fell for McGinn who angled his effort low into the bottom right-hand corner.

The draw took Hibs into third spot but also means that St Johnstone have now gone 9 games unbeaten.

“After the second goal, we looked comfortable and it’s taken a couple of deflections, so a bit unlucky,” said Saints manager Callum Davidson. “We had chances, so did Hibs. So it’s one of those games where emotions are mixed.”