To kick or not to kick was the question at the end for Glasgow, a virtually guaranteed losing bonus point versus a tiny chance of winning, and they came up with the wrong answer.

Head coach Danny Wilson admitted as much afterwards, but a bonus point would have kept them ahead of the Dragons in the table as the two sides battle it out to finish fourth which may lead to a place in the Champions Cup next season.

Coming away with nothing allowed the Dragons to pull level, though Glasgow will hope to finish the job home to Benetton next week while Edinburgh can do them a favour in South Wales.

It was also the proverbial game of two halves, 17 points for Glasgow in the first and then nothing in the second as they gave away many penalties and another yellow card.

It allowed the Dragons to score 17 unanswered points after the break to claim victory and the double over Glasgow this season.

Glasgow will also hope a healthy points different advantage will be a useful buffer if needed, but it still makes the series of decisions not to take easy kicks at goal at the end somewhat baffling.

A penalty would have still allowed them time to win the game with a converted try, so the extra gamble was literally pointless.

“Not taking the last kick at goal was the wrong decision, but up until then we felt there was enough time to score a try and then try to win the game,” said head coach Danny Wilson after the game.

“It was a really poor second half performance, one of if not the worst this season, we lacked accuracy and discipline again which is becoming a major, major issue.

“It was a poor day at the office. We played well in the first half to give ourselves opportunities, but fair play to the Dragons they put us under pressure and we had to weather a storm which seemed to take a lot out of us.”

Glasgow were packed full of players with international experience who seemed to enjoy their surroundings at the Principality Stadium, the wet winter weather having caused enough problems at Rodney Parade to move the game.

In contrast that mean perfect conditions both underfoot and with sunny weather, which allowed Glasgow to run through their repertoire.

Dragons outside half Sam Davies opened the scoring and notched three first half penalties overall, but Glasgow grabbed the tries.

The first came through hooker Fraser Brown, back from a three month injury lay-off, who went over from the base of a lineout drive.

Adam Hastings added the conversion from touch, ironic as the last Glasgow attempted conversion against Dragons – which saw Brandon Thomson miss a potential match-winner from in front – became an internet sensation.

The half-time lead was clinched as right wing Rufus McLean showed why he was called up to the Scotland squad during this Six Nations.

The bouncing ball knocked back from a lineout in the Glasgow half was an inauspicious start, but he claimed it, dodged through the Dragons forwards and then showed a neat sidestep and pace to get past wing Ashton Hewitt and round full back Jordan Williams.

Hastings, who had also been yellow carded for a high tackle, got the conversion from the right hand touch line before adding a 45 yard penalty on the stroke of half time.

That was the end of the good news as the Dragons turned on the pressure in the second half. They did not score the points for a long time, but the time seemed to have an impact in the end.

Full back Williams grabbed a ball floating behind him and that stole an extra yard on the defence, allowing him to break down the middle for the try.

More pressure was finished off by second row Matthew Screech from short range to take the Dragons more than seven points ahead.

Glasgow had their chances to pull back within losing bonus point territory, but for bizarre reasons decided to make things harder for themselves. At least they have done their bit to make the end of the season a little bit more exciting.

Scorers: Dragons: Tries – Williams, Screech. Cons – S Davies (2). Pens – S Davies (4).

Glasgow Warriors:  Tries – Brown, McLean. Cons – Hastings (2). Pen – Hastings.

Dragons: J Williams; J Holmes, A Owen, J Roberts (N Tompkins 16), A Hewitt; S Davies, G Bertranou (R Williams 60); B Harris (J Reynolds 76), R Hibbard, L Fairbrother, J Davies (B Carter 63), M Screech, H Keddie (capt), O Griffiths (B Fry 10), R Moriarty.

Glasgow: A Hastings; R McLean N Grigg, R Fergusson (P Horne 63), L Jones; R Thompson (O Smith 64),), S Kennedy (J Dobie 40); A Seiuli, F Brown (G Stewart 76), E Pieretto, R Gray, K McDonald (L Nakarawa 18-22), R Harley (F Lokotui ), T Gordon (Nakarawa 63), R Wilson (capt).

Referee: Dan Jones  (WRU)