PARTICK THISTLE know that a win over Falkirk at Firhill tomorrow night will seal the League One title after the Jags and Cove Rangers played out an entertaining 2-2 draw at Balmoral.

The visitors started on the front foot and gained the advantage with just six minutes played. Scott Tiffoney won a free-kick on the left wing, swung in an inviting ball from the resulting set-piece and it appeared as though Zak Rudden got the final touch in amongst the throng of bodies to steer the ball home with glee.

Minutes later, it looked like it was 2-0. Tiffoney drove menacingly down the left, making a beeline for the near post before cutting the ball back for Connor Murray, who prodded the ball into the unguarded the net. The linesman, however, ruled that Tiffoney had dribbled the ball out of play and the goal was chalked off.

Within 60 seconds, Cove were level. A soft penalty was awarded in the hosts’ favour and Rory McAllister converted from 12 yards to register his eighth goal of the season.

The better chances still fell the way of the Jags but both Rudden and Brian Graham were guilty of failing to make the most of them.

Cove came out for the second half and started to really assert themselves on the contest as the momentum shifted in their favour. Mitch Megginson was denied time and time again by Jamie Sneddon, while Steven Bell could consider himself lucky not to have been sent off after scything down the Cove striker on the break.

Ryan Strachan then nudged the hosts ahead in emphatic fashion with a 30-yard thunderbolt but within minutes, Tiffoney restored parity with a sensational strike of his own. The on-loan Livingston forward brought the ball down gracefully, beating the last man, before leathering the ball into the roof of the net from the edge of the area.

READ MORE: Conspiracies, concussions and cup glory: How Partick Thistle brought the Scottish Cup to Firhill

James Penrice rattled the post late on and fellow substitute Ross MacIver had an effort cleared off the line in injury time before the ref blew his whistle to signal the end of what had been an entertaining contest.

Elsewhere, Airdrieonians all but confirmed their place in the play-offs with a 2-1 win over fifth-placed Montrose at the Penny Cars Stadium with Kilmarnock loanee Kyle Connell providing both goals, while Dumbarton and edged out Forfar with a 1-0 win at The Rock.

Clyde’s fixture against East Fife at Broadwood was postponed at the last minute following a positive Covid test within the home squad, which could prove troublesome. Every club must have fulfilled all 22 fixtures by 6 May or the final standings will be determined by points-per-game, although essentially this will not affect sides in the top half of the table.