Matt Fagerson celebrated his return to action after two months out with an ankle injury in fine style on Saturday night, with an athletic try – leaping over Edinburgh’s ruck defence – which set Glasgow Warriors on their way to a 24-31 win at Murrayfield.

It was a victory which was much more comprehensive than the final score-line suggests. 

“It was a good start,” said the 22-year-old. “I took a couple of minutes to get into the game because it's a bit of a shock to the system when you’ve been out for more than a month. I was just getting a feel for it because there was only so much straight-line running you can do. Then getting the try was pretty good. It was off the back of the forwards’ hard work. 

“I haven't practised that,” he insisted. “When you are defending close to the line it is all about the speed going up to meet the ball-carrier, so if I was them, I would probably have done the same thing by going for the ankles. I just thought I could get away with holding back, letting them dive and then going over the top. Fortunately, it paid off.” 

It was not just a morale-boosting win for Warriors, the victory thrusts them right back into contention to finish top of the table in the Rainbow Cup pool section and therefore qualify for the tournament ‘final’ against South African opposition on 19th June. It has been a long, arduous season, and it is likely that most players in the squad would not welcome that extra match in what is fundamentally a meaningless competition, but as far as Fagerson is concerned the more game time he can get the better. 

“A few of the boys want to rest their bodies a bit, but after the six or seven weeks out that I've had I’m raring to go and get some more games before the end of the season and hopefully put my hand up for Scotland’s summer tour,” he said. “So, I'm excited to be part of the next couple of games.” 

One of those players looking for a low-key run-in to the end of the season is big brother Zander, who is understandably keen to minimise any risk of picking up an injury ahead of this summer’s Lions tour. 

“It was emotional watching him wait to get his name read out last Thursday,” said the proud younger sibling. “We were all upstairs at Scotstoun after training, and fair play to him, he didn't cry straightaway, but it was a very special day for all of us in the family. We've seen first-hand all the sacrifices he has made, revamping his game, and it has paid off to get the call for what is the pinnacle of a career. I'm absolutely over the moon for him.”