A DIVING header by St Mirren captain Joe Shaughnessy with just two minutes of regulation time remaining denied Hibernian victory – and the chance to move above Rangers in the cinch Premiership.  

Second-half goals from Paul McGinn and Martin Boyle looked to have clinched victory for Hibs at Easter Road.

Eamonn Brophy had put the visitors, without a win in six matches, in front three minutes before half-time with his second strike of the season.

But Hibs manager Jack Ross put on Scott Allan for Chris Cadden and his team performed far better with the midfielder dictating play in the centre of the park.

A stunning McGinn volley and a Boyle penalty saw them come from behind to lead.

However, Shaughnessy got on the end of a Scott Tanser delivery from wide on the left that Josh Doig failed to cut out and nodded beyond Matt Macey late on.

Hibs moved level with Rangers on points at the top of the table – but the Ibrox club can move three points clear if they beat Motherwell at home tomorrow.  

Scoring chances were few and far between in the opening 45 minutes. Boyle flashed an attempt just wide after Kyle Magennis had laid the ball off to him and Brophy had a long-range effort easily saved by Macey.

Ross switched from a 3-5-2 formation to a 4-3-3 in attempt to gain greater control of proceedings. But the change made little impact. They fell behind to a Brophy strike three minutes before half-time.

The former Kilmarnock and Scotland man beat Macey at his near post. Ryan Porteous felt that his goalkeeper should have done better and held his hands in the air in despair. But the centre half, who had been marking on the striker was every bit as much to blame.

Ross threw on Allan for Cadden at the start of the second-half and the home team were transformed as a result. Porteous appeared to draw them level when he headed a Magennis corner beyond Jak Alnwick in the 51st minute.

However, referee Kevin Clancy ruled that Boyle had been in an offside position when the defender made contact and disallowed the goal.

McGinn, capped by Scotland for the first time in the Qatar 2022 qualifier against Austria earlier this month, equalised with a first-time volley just six minutes later.

Doig did well to cut the ball back into the St Mirren area and Magennis and Joe Newell both had attempts blocked. But the ball spun out to Allan who chipped to the advancing McGinn. His team mate made no mistake.  

Porteous picked up a booking from the match official on the hour mark just before a Magennis corner after a shoving match broke out. But he promptly won Hibs a spot kick when he was wrestled to the ground by Matt Millar. Boyle converted to put his side in front.

St Mirren fought hard to restore parity in the final half an hour and Brophy was unlucky to hit the underside of the crossbar. They deserved to take something from the 90 minutes and their skipper pounced at the death to make sure they did.