TWO losing bonus points may keep Glasgow in fourth place in the United Rugby Championship, but they will still feel this was one which got away as Cardiff’s tortoise overtook the Scottish hare.

A 13 point lead early in the second half was not enough for Glasgow, even playing with the help of the wind, as Cardiff suddenly found their rhythm to work their way back into the game and get their noses in front when it counted.

Glasgow had dominated for long periods, the forwards had seemed to get on top with their defensive lineout preventing the home team from building any pressure.

When they secured the bonus point fourth try it seemed as though the platform for victory was laid, but from that point on it was Cardiff who pushed and pressed until they scraped together enough points to claim victory.

Glasgow were masters of their own downfall to a degree with simple mistakes, kicks going straight out, a yellow card, all adding to the pressure they suddenly found themselves under second half.

“Cardiff are a good side at home, they have beaten Leinster this season and only lost once here, but when you have a comfortable lead at 50 minutes you should see that game out,” admitted coach Danny Wilson.

“For fifty minutes it was the best rugby we have played away from home this season, and then for the last 30 it was the worst we have played.

“We need more mental toughness and ruthlessness away from home, though ~I am not taking anything away from Cardiff who dominated the game for that last 30.

“Errors and penalties are the sort of thing we need to eradicate if we want to challenge for silverware and cement our place in the top four. If we are going to be title contenders we have to improve.”

It was former Edinburgh wing Jason Harries who opened the scoring for the home side after a cut-out pass from centre Ben Thomas, with No 8 James Ratti having stressed the visiting defence up the middle.

Cardiff stretched their lead with a Jarrod Evans penalty, but that seemed to sting Glasgow into action.

Keeping the ball in hand, they were able to find space out wide to work their way up the Cardiff Arms Park pitch and put the home side under pressure.

The reward came from a lineout turnover with centre Kyle Steyn breaking free from within his own 22. After making the initial breach he handed on to Argentinian wing Sebastian Cancelliere whose pace took him under the posts.

Glasgow’s second try came from much shorter range, centre Sam Johnson picking a good line close to a ruck on the line as well as showing good footwork to get over the line.

The third try was all about strength, the pressure from Glasgow meant a series of penalties given away by Cardiff ended up defending a lineout on their line and the visitors were able to drive their way over with hooker Fraser Brown claiming the score.

Cardiff stopped the rot with a period of pressure of their own which ended with the ball breaking loose near the Glasgow line and Cardiff left wing Theo Cabango reacting fastest to grab the ball and the try.

There was disappointment for Glasgow on the stroke of half time as they set up another attacking five metre lineout only for the throw to be squint to allow Cardiff to go into the dressing rooms without conceding a fourth try.

That landmark for Glasgow arrived shortly after the break, though, as Cardiff again started the half strongly only for a long pass to be picked off by Cancellierie who had the pace to go 70 metres for his second try.

That was his last action for a while as another Cardiff attack meant he went for another interception. This time he did not quite get there, conceding a penalty and earning a ten minute rest from a yellow card.

Cardiff centre Willis Halaholo, last seen in disappointing form for Wales in the home defeat to Italy, was beginning to have an effect with a long range break and then a short range try slipping past Oli Kebble to score in the corner as Cardiff stayed in touch with outside half Jarrod Evans adding the touchline conversion.

They went into the lead for the first time since the early minutes with Cabango adding a second coming off his wing and injecting real pace to take him through to the line. Evans converted to put his side ahead.

Cardiff grew in confidence and continued to press inside the Glasgow 22, the hammer blow coming with two minutes to go as they earned a ruck penalty in front of the posts which Evans put over.

Scorers: Cardiff Rugby: Tries – Harries, Cabango (2), Halaholo. Cons – Evans (3). Pens – Evans (2).

Glasgow Warriors: Tries – Cancellierre (2), Johnson, Brown. Cons – Thompson (4)

Cardiff: H Amos; J Harries, W Halaholo (M Morgan 71), B Thomas (G Smith 59), T Cabango; J Evans, L Williams; R Carre (C Domachowski 50), K Myhill (K Dacey 50), D Arhip (D Lewis 50), J Turnbull, M Screech, J Botham, J Navidi (E Jenkins 52), J Ratti.

Glasgow: J McKay; S Cancelliere, K Steyn, S Johnson, C Forbes; R Thompson (D Weir 54), A Price (J Dobie 71); J Bhatti (O Kebble 49), F Brown, Z Fagerson (M Walker 71), S Cummings, R Gray (A Miller 79), R Wilson (K McDonald 52), R Darge, J Dempsey.

Referee: AJ Jacobs (SARU).

Attendance: 6,275.