Early weather forecasts for Rangers' trip to Dundee for a third attempt at playing their Scottish Premiership fixture make for grim reading.

The match at Dens Park was called off before the international break due to a waterlogged pitch and re-arranged for April 10.

The park passed an inspection ahead Dundee's game against Motherwell, but inclement weather after that match once again put the the Rangers game in doubt.

The pitch was initially declared playable in a morning inspection but, with further rain forecast, a second was ordered for 3.30pm.

Referee Don Robertson decided the pitch was unplayable and the game could not go ahead, but as things stand there is currently rain forecast for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and April 17, the day of the game.

Following the announcement of the second postponement, Rangers hit out at Dundee in a furious statement.

The Ibrox club said: "The negligence and unprofessionalism demonstrated by Dundee Football Club, where they have repeatedly breached SPFL rules, continues to have a damaging effect on the top professional league in the country.

"In a week where record TV viewing figures were recorded for a match in the same competition, and this evening’s game due to be televised again by Sky Sports, this episode is deeply embarrassing and has also been eminently avoidable.

"Rangers expects the SPFL to take proportionate and decisive action in accordance with its rules, and the club will continue to make representations to them in the strongest possible manner.

"The club has been repeatedly putting forward solutions to the SPFL, which have not been taken up. It has again proposed a solution to the preparation and execution of this rescheduled fixture and is awaiting a response from the SPFL. As things stand, the rescheduled match will be on Wednesday, April 17 at 8pm. The club considers that this matter has been handled incorrectly throughout by both Dundee and the SPFL.

"At this time, we sympathise fully once again with our supporters, approximately 4000 of whom were looking forward to attending tonight’s game. Having already been left hugely inconvenienced and out of pocket by the first postponement last month, it is entirely unacceptable and disrespectful on the part of Dundee FC to have allowed this situation to have developed again."