A MAN who went on a £3,500 thieving spree has been jailed for nine months.

Martin Higgins committed six thefts from cars in Cambuslang and Rutherglen between January and August 2020.

The 35-year-old’s haul included designer clothing, a mobile phone and a Lionel Messi rucksack.

READ MORE: Thug jailed after he robbed Glasgow pensioner on her doorstep

Higgins pleaded guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court or the six thefts from motor vehicles, a housebreaking with intent to steal.

He also admitted a car theft, driving without insurance, failing to report and accident and behaving in a threatening or abusive manner.

The court heard Higgins first broke into a car in Dunard Road, Rutherglen, making off with £1,515 of goods including the Messi bag, North Face jacket and Nike trainers.

READ MORE: Perv found with indecent images of kids as young as one after Glasgow police raid walks from court

He then struck at a further four cars in Rutherglen and Cambuslang in February making off with an iPod, a Samsung phone and Gucci trainers.

Higgins was initially snared by police using CCTV.

He told officers: “It wasn’t me."

Higgins went on to steal a credit card from a car but was caught by the victim’s video doorbell.

The hearing was told Higgins then stole a Kia car in December in the early hours of the morning.

READ MORE: DNA found on hoodie helped catch Glasgow would-be-housebreaker

The court was told: “Two loud bangs were heard and the car was seen to be extensively damaged and crushed against a lamppost.

“Another car across the road was also seen with extensive damage.”

Higgins was seen limping away from the car with injuries to his hand.

The court heard: “The air bags in the other vehicle were deployed and blood stained and seized top test for DNA.

“A mobile phone was found in the vehicle later identified as Higgins’ and he was traced to his home address.”

Higgins, who was later given crutches which were seized by police due to a threat, claimed he would fall and blame the officers in order to make a complaint about them.

Stephen Bentley, defending, said: “He recognises this to have been a dreadful course of conduct.”