DOG owners are advised to be cautious as cases of lungworms have been discovered in the Glasgow area.

According to My Pet and I, lungworm is a parasite that can cause serious health problems in dogs, and can even be fatal if not diagnosed and treated.

Larvae from the parasite are released through the faeces of dogs and foxes.

Slugs and snails then ingest the larvae while feeding. Other dogs and foxes can become infected with lungworm when they swallow these slugs/snails or potentially even their slime.

So far in the Greater Glasgow area, 52 cases have been identified.

READ MORE: Puppy almost dies after 'eating fox poison' triggering horror seizures

Glasgow Times: Map of cases in GlasgowMap of cases in Glasgow

Glasgow Times: Map of cases in the UKMap of cases in the UK