The Glasgow church where Peter Tobin killed one of his victims could be turned into flats or a hotel.

St Patrick's Church in Anderston previously confirmed it would be closing its doors in the near future due to operational costs and a shortfall in numbers attending the parish.

Now cash-strapped officials are considering obtaining planning permission for the area which would see it being sold off, the Sunday Mail reports.

READ MORE: Glasgow church where serial killer Peter Tobin hid victim's body to close

A spokesperson told the paper: “Sadly, we are now facing the situation that the future of our church and parish is not good and we can expect the church to close.

“The Archdiocesan estates department is looking at options for the future including looking for planning permission for uses such as conversion to flats or a hotel.”

But one local said: “It’s the last place anyone would want to spend a night. Tobin’s crimes will never be forgotten.”

READ MORE: Angelika Kluk murder in Glasgow led to the capture of serial killer Peter Tobin

The building was the focal point of a murder scene following the disappearance of 23-year-old Polish student Angelika Kluk in September 2006. 

She had been staying in a room at the church while working as a cleaner. But after her loved ones failed to hear from her for a few days, she was reported missing.

Evil Tobin was already a convicted child rapist and was working at the church under an alias, Pat McLaughlin.

READ MORE: Full extent of Peter Tobin's violence may never be known

He met Angelika through their shared time at the church and he raped and murdered her before hiding her body under the floorboards of the chapel.

Just hours after he was quizzed by cops over Angelika's disappearance, then 60-year-old Tobin went on the run. 

L-R: Angelika Kluk, Vicky Hamilton, Dinah McNicolL-R: Angelika Kluk, Vicky Hamilton, Dinah McNicol (Image: Newsquest)

He was arrested in London and DNA tests went on to link him to Angelika's murder. Days after his arrest, Strathclyde Police launched a nationwide probe into his life and movements.

The operation soon linked him to the murders of two other missing girls, Vicky Hamilton, 15, and Dinah McNicol, 18. 

The murderer was serving a whole life order at HMP Edinburgh for the murders of Angelika, Vicky, and Dinah, but detectives believe he killed many more. 

He died from cancer in hospital on October 8, 2022, at the age of 76.